Congress prepares to dole out funds

Meetings to determine fate of $200K

Student Congress is gearing up for two weekends in February when more than $200,000 is expected to be allocated to student groups.

During the Finance Committee Weekend and Annual Budget weekend, a majority of this year’s funds will be determined, said Student Body Treasurer Natalie Russell.

“It will be 80 percent of the total amount of money to be allocated this year,” she said.

Daneen Furr, chairwoman of Student Congress’ Finance Committee, said she expects several student groups to request funds this year.

“There should be a generally good turnout,” she said.

During the course of the weekend, after randomly picking the order, each group will have 15 minutes to make its case.

“We look to see that a group has a specific plan for the money,” Furr said. “We want to know the wheres, the whens and the whos. The more exact it is, the better we can allocate the money and the more it helps the groups.”

Russell said the majority of funds will be used for speakers, conferences, workshops and publications. Much of the annual budget will pay for basic operations, like phone bills and office supplies.

The Finance Committee weekend will be held Feb. 4 to Feb. 6, and the Annual Budget weekend is scheduled for Feb. 18 to Feb. 20. The early meeting dates provide time to allocate any surplus funds.

Last year, the student fee increase made $164,000 available to the 89 student organizations requesting funding. After the annual budget weekend, Student Congress ended up with a surplus of $11,777.04.

“The benefit of having fees go up is that we can fund things that we haven’t been able to in the past,” Furr said. “It allows us to not have to deny funding just based on it not being available.”

Groups that want to receive allocated funds were required to attend the budget orientation meeting for Congress’ Annual Budget Process on Wednesday night.

Furr said the meeting helps the committee meet someone from the groups and know that all the groups interested are “aware of the process” and have received the information. “If I send out an e-mail, I can’t guarantee everyone will see it.”

Representatives for several groups — including the Carolina Production Guild, Computer Science Club, Relay for Life, Committee for a Better Carolina and Young Democrats, among others — showed up in hopes of securing funds for their causes.

The most common request was money for speakers, but some representatives said they need items specific to their causes.

“Prior to money for the actual event, we need money for entertainment, food, tools, incentive prizes and publicity,” said Christy Lee, accounting chairwoman for Relay for Life.

Nick Snyder, co-president of the Carolina Production Guild, said, “I think we’re the only organization on campus that actually shoots on film. That’s why we need the money. Film is expensive.”

Furr said the weekends will ensure money is allocated appropriately.

“With an increase in fees, this is even more important.”