Congress to examine ticket policies

CAA members may get fewer tickets

After a semester wrought with criticism, the affairs of the Carolina Athletic Association will be debated during the next meeting of Student Congress.

Congress’ athletics committee has been working since last semester to alter certain aspects of CAA operations, including student ticket distribution and the number of tickets set aside for CAA members.

The new legislation and objectives will be presented at a public hearing at 5 p.m. Wednesday in 383 Phillips Hall.

Trey Winslett, chairman of the athletics committee, said the most noticeable part of the proposed legislation is the creation of a ticket distribution advisory board.

He said the legislation would make the way the ticket distribution process is determined each year more student-oriented.

“We want to make Homecoming, ticket distribution and student attendance at games the best it can be,” he said.

If approved by Congress, a committee including representatives from CAA, Congress and the Department of Athletics will meet each January to review the process and make changes as necessary.

“I think that this is the best opportunity we will have while on Student Congress to make an impact on the long run of the school,” Winslett said.

CAA President Lindsay Strunk said members of the CAA also would like to see the creation of a regulatory group to govern distribution.

Student officials said potential changes to ticket distribution would not go into effect until the committee is established and follows the proper channels to alter the process.

The CAA and athletics committee also underscored the importance of reducing the number of tickets reserved for key CAA members.

“We want to review the number of tickets (CAA uses) and work a specific number into the Student Code,” Winslett said.

Strunk said 138 tickets now are issued to CAA members per game, but she would like for some of the tickets to go back to the students.

Justin Johnson, a candidate for CAA president, said the biggest thing he would like to do if elected is to cut back significantly on the amount of tickets CAA reserves.

CAA presidential hopeful Hayes Holderness said he has no complaints about the current distribution process but would want to eliminate 7 a.m. line-check if elected.

Holderness said he has devised an electronic system to handle the absence of line-check because he does not see the value in coming at 7 a.m. to receive tickets hours later.

The athletics committee has written several pieces of legislation to be introduced to Congress, but CAA also has made an effort to take part in the process.

Strunk said she sent a representative to each of the committee’s meetings but does not believe that the resolution reflects CAA sentiments.

CAA members have drafted separate legislation to be presented to Congress, as well as a 40-page document describing the responsibilities of various positions in CAA.

“We’ve been working with (the athletics committee) somewhat, but we worked independently to work on changes we think will benefit the organization,” Strunk said.