Downtown group continues search

As members of the Downtown Economic Development Corporation shuffled through agenda items at its meeting Wednesday, there was no evidence that the group was slowing down after the loss of former Chairman Bob Epting in November.

Instead, his successor, Chairwoman Andrea Rohrbacher, and the corporation are ready to move on, starting with the search for a permanent executive director.

The corporation appointed Chapel Hill personnel firm Smither & Associates to assist the search committee seeking a new director.

“We’ve got to get this thing structured and focused and running,” said corporation member Roger Perry. “I don’t think we’ll have a very good act in March.”

Interim Executive Director Nick Didow has overseen the corporation since September.

Corporation members decided the new director would receive a salary of more than $70,000, but not exceeding $95,000.

In a proposal forwarded to Didow, Smither & Associates Vice President Anita Badrock set the group’s consultation fee at $5,000.

“I personally like the proposal Anita put together,” said corporation member Nancy Suttenfield. “It demonstrates very good understanding of areas we as a search committee felt we needed help with.”

Suttenfield also said the firm could better address local needs than the Raleigh-based Conway & Greenwood Inc., which also expressed interest in the job.

According to Badrock’s proposal, the firm will provide services such as acknowledgment of application receipts, consultation to create an “ideal candidate profile” and several background checks.

The corporation determined that the search committee should narrow its list to about three finalists before bringing them before the full board for a vote.

While the search carries on — members have said they likely won’t select a director until late March — Didow will continue in the post.

“The intent was that Nick would assist us whenever necessary,” Suttenfield said.

Also at the meeting, corporation members reviewed and amended a draft of priority duties for the rest of Didow’s term.

Some of the duties include compiling an action plan in response to recommendations made in the last few years, developing a grant or loan program for local businesses and locating more funding for the corporation.

The corporation is funded through the special tax on the downtown service district, which generates about $70,000 per year, and matching contributions from the town and University.

Members indicated that they want to defer parts of what Rohrbacher calls an “ambitious and robust” list of tasks for the corporation.

“Nick can’t be working on all of these things,” Rohrbacher said. “He does need his sleep.”