Freedom, liberty key in address

President Bush evoked the Founding Fathers in his second inaugural speech Thursday, placing the broad ideal of freedom at the forefront of his agenda for the next four years.

Pundits immediately went to work analyzing Bush’s words in search of foreign and domestic policy objectives. Normally, policies are more explicitly laid out during the inaugural speech, said Thomas Schaller, a professor of political science at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County.

“I think he wanted to try to show big, long-term vision in his words,” Schaller said. “He’s trying to leave a legacy that involves a transformation of the globe for the 21st century.”

With Sen. Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina standing behind him, Bush took his oath of office at noon outside the Capitol. His subsequent speech was marked by a defense of what is now being called the Bush doctrine — a policy of pre-emptive action to spread freedom across the world.

“The survival of liberty in our land increasingly depends on the success of liberty in other lands,” Bush said. “The best hope for peace in our world is the expansion of peace in all the world.”

He later said the United States would support those who resist oppression.

“When you stand for liberty, we will stand with you.”

His statements could indicate a plan to extend the war on terror to other nations known for oppressive governments, even those typically supported by the United States, said Steffen Schmidt, a professor of political science at Iowa State University.

“We’re probably scaring the hell out of some of the governments that we’ve traditionally gotten along with or looked the other way,” Schmidt said.

Bush also touched upon domestic policy issues that are sure to dominate debate during the next four years. Schmidt said Bush likely will push major changes to government programs such as Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

Bush’s words promoted a belief in personal responsibility that could translate into an overhaul of such programs.

“By making every citizen an agent of his or her own destiny, we will give our fellow Americans greater freedom from want and fear, and make our society more prosperous and just and equal,” he said.

“Self-government relies on the governing of the self.”

Schmidt said this idea is a throwback to another characteristic of the original American: self-reliance.

“(Alexis) de Tocqueville, when he wrote ‘Democracy in America,’ said he was amazed that the American people didn’t wait for the government to solve their problems,” Schmidt said.

“We kind of have forgotten that that’s one of the things that made us such a dynamic country.”

With the cost of Medicaid bearing down on cash-strapped states, controversial solutions will spark heated debate but might also potentially produce results, Schmidt added.

Others say Bush could propose more than just reforms.

“(His words are) an indication that there will be a major deconstruction of government programs, or at least an attempt,” Schaller said.

Bush returned to his rhetoric of spreading liberty beyond the nation’s borders at the end of his address.

And those who disagree with the Bush doctrine could not say he is acting out of sync with his own beliefs.

“He really has very strong feelings about the things that he wants to accomplish,” Schmidt said.

“Bush clearly falls into the category of someone who believes the United States has a historic responsibility to reach out and transfer democracy.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.