Jensen grabs BSM support

Student body president candidate Tom Jensen nabbed his second major endorsement in three days Wednesday.

After much deliberation, members of the Black Student Movement endorsed Jensen for the office at their candidates forum.

“The major echo in the room was that Tom had already established his name in a diverse array of people,” said BSM Treasurer Conitras Houston. “He’s well-rounded in his establishment.”

The endorsement was the second in a series of forums designed to expose the candidates to the student body. Jensen won the Young Democrats’ endorsement Monday.

“We’re looking for a balance,” said BSM Vice President Brandon Hodges. “We had to choose a candidate who realized that we are minorities, but we’re also students who care about every other issue on this campus.”

Members said Jensen’s passion for change sparked their attention.

“He represented our needs as a whole body,” said Alicia O’Neal, BSM membership and elections chairwoman.

Jensen said he was touched by the endorsement.

“I’ve spent the last two summers fighting against racism,” he said. “I really care about minorities, and they will be a priority for me.”

Jensen’s platform calls for eliminating stipends for elected leaders, an issue that sparked much debate.

Candidate Seke Ballard said this elimination would shut out students who need to work from working for student government.

“(Eliminating stipends) cuts out any person who can’t call up Mom and Dad and ask for money,” Ballard said.

Leigha Blackwell also said she advocates retaining stipends.

“When you look at, it’s only a couple dollars per person,” she said. “It levels the playing field for anyone to run who can.”

Candidate Seth Dearmin focused on tuition predictability and creating an on-campus voting precinct.

“Now’s the time we can actually make (the voting precinct) happen,” he said.

BSM members were quick to say that no candidate is perfect.

“Just because we endorse a candidate doesn’t mean we agree with everything he says,” Houston said. “Just that we thought he clearly had the best platform.”

Members also endorsed Bobby Whisnant Jr. and Jenny Peddycord for senior class president and vice president, Justin Johnson for president of the Carolina Athletic Association and Chasity Wilson for president of the Resident Hall Association.

Members said that overall, they were pleased with the forum.

“I thought it was good to have the various members of BSM attend, because we’re not a homogenous group at all,” Hodges said. “It was good to have a variation of the group.”