MLK vigil illuminates campus

In a calm and sentimental spirit, students lit candles in remembrance of Martin Luther King Jr. during a vigil Thursday night.

A trail of lights then flowed through campus as students proceeded to attend the 24th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday Celebration.

In a comedic yet instructive sense, guest lecturer Dr. Benjamin S. Carson Sr. advised students about the importance of education and change.

“Our nation is being threatened by our lack of endeavor,” he said. “We are facing a new type of problem, and if Dr. King were here, he would make us aware of it.”

The seats of the Student Union’s Great Hall were filled with students, faculty and community members who applauded him and gave a standing ovation.

“It’s really good to have people learn about the community,” said junior Ginny Best. “I think that people are excited about being here.”

Carson, the keynote speaker, is the director of pediatric neurosurgery at the John Hopkins Medical Institutions. Carson is also the founder of Carson Scholars Fund Inc., a nonprofit organization designed to reward young people for their academic and civilian accomplishments.

In his speech, Carson emphasized to students the power they have to make influential changes in America.

Commenting on his own struggles during his youth, Carson stressed the importance of believing in oneself and recognizing the need to stay motivated to improve the quality of life for all Americans.

The event, sponsored by the Chancellor’s Committee for the Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday Celebration, was held not only in remembrance of King, but also to celebrate the presentation of the 2005 Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship.

The scholarship is presented each year to a student who best exemplifies King’s commitment to society. Students must demonstrate exceptional academic and humanitarian accomplishments.

“All of the candidates are judged on a commitment to improve the quality of life at Carolina,” said Archie Ervin, chairman of the chancellor’s MLK celebration committee and director of minority affairs.

The first-place winner of the award receives a $1,000 scholarship. Two runner-up candidates receive $500 scholarships each.

This year, the award was presented to junior Amelia Kaye by the 2004 recipient, T.J. Abrams.

Fernando Soto, a finalist for the 2004 scholarship, said he was proud to have been considered for the scholarship last year and expressed his admiration for King.

“Martin Luther King fought for anybody and everybody. He wanted the world to be a better place, that’s why there are so many people of different races here.”

Ervin said the celebration represents an important University event that is broadly educational in nature.

“(It is) a way to keep generations thinking about Dr. King. We recognize students for this, so that they continue the vision of Dr. King,” he said. “It’s a really great way of honoring Martin Luther King Jr. and an even better way to present a scholarship for UNC students.”

Students at the celebration also expressed their admiration.

“This event, is what really keeps the dream going,” said sophomore Muhammad Salameh.