New coach has Wake on the rise

After spending much of Thursday’s game yelling in frustration, Wake Forest first-year coach Mike Petersen entered the media room looking frustrated and despondent about his team’s 83-61 loss to North Carolina.

But by the middle of the interview session, Petersen was smiling and leaning back, calmly discussing his team’s disappointing performance while confidently looking ahead.

And the two players at his side, Cotelia Bond-Young and Porsche Jones, followed suit, giving hint of the new optimism that has begun to emerge in Winston-Salem.

“We’re better than that, aren’t we?” Petersen asked the two players, cracking a grin.

“OK — just checking.”

Despite the defeat, there’s little doubting that the team has significantly improved. Under previous coach Charlene Curtis, WFU failed to win more than five ACC games in any of her seven seasons.

Petersen assumed command in the offseason after Curtis’ contract was not renewed. He had previously served as the head women’s coach at Gonzaga, New Mexico State and TCU.

Most recently, he held the position of associate head men’s coach at Minnesota — whose offensive system he has tried to replicate in the women’s game.

“They take more 3s (than last year),” said UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell. “Charlene ran the triangle offense a lot, and they played some matchup zone. But (now) they just take a lot more 3s, more international style, five-man motion — all five players shooting 3s.”

Petersen’s focus on perimeter offense has had an impact. Entering Thursday’s game, WFU led the nation in 3-pointers made per game with 9.2.

But the team struggled from long distance against UNC, connecting on just 24 percent of its 3-pointers, finishing the game with 7.

That shooting, combined with 26 turnovers and subpar rebounding, equaled a resounding defeat.

“I’ve got all freshmen,” Petersen said. “It may say juniors and seniors and sophomores on the roster — this is our first year running this stuff.

“We need to keep getting better as the season goes along. … We’ll learn from this experience. We’ll grow from it. We’ll get over it and move forward.”

Wake has already eclipsed last season’s win total of 12 with a 13-6 record and is also in position to defy the prediction of a last-place ACC finish.

Credit Petersen’s system and his newly confident team — confidence that Jones exuded in the media room after seeming to take her coach’s lead.

When asked whether she will avenge Thursday’s loss when the two teams meet again on Feb. 16, she quickly replied:

“I know we will.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.