Officials predict change for CAA

Autonomy of group hangs in balance

The tensions that have escalated between members of student government and the Carolina Athletic Association will reach a breaking point Wednesday with a public hearing to discuss major changes to the association.

While ticket distribution policies have been the focus of recent debate, more will be at stake for the CAA, including the group’s role as an autonomous organization and changes to Homecoming.

Officials expect some radical proposals to surface from Student Congress’ newly formed athletics committee, as well as individual sources.

Proposals range from eliminating the section of the Student Code that legitimizes the CAA to making the CAA presidency an appointed rather than an elected position and forming a ticket distribution review board, said Trey Winslett, chairman of the athletics committee.

The athletics committee was formed last fall after CAA received much criticism when it failed to book rock band Sister Hazel for the Homecoming concert after promising the band’s appearance.

Since then, the committee has been working to alter certain aspects of CAA operations, including student ticket distribution and the number of tickets set aside for CAA members.

But members of the CAA are expressing their concerns, calling the proposals uninformed.

CAA President Lindsay Strunk said it is imperative that students continue to elect the CAA president so the group remains accountable.

“There is a lack of knowledge (in student government),” she said. “They don’t understand the workings of the athletic department or the logistics behind the decisions CAA makes.”

In light of recent criticism and in hopes of providing a better understanding of CAA, the association released a fall 2004 report Monday. The document outlines the responsibilities of the organization and discusses possible policy changes.

CAA Treasurer Ginny Franks said the CAA is admitting its mistakes and trying to correct them.

“We want to increase communication and give students insight on the inner workings of CAA,” she said.

CAA’s report notes that the group receives less than $6,000 of its $50,000 budget from Student Congress allocations.

If an athletics committee proposal passes, CAA expenditures of $200 or more would need approval from either the Finance Committee of Congress or the student body treasurer.

Franks said the athletic committee failed to get proper input from the CAA for the proposal. “(The limit) would cripple events that have a quick turnaround,” she said.

Strunk reiterated that point, saying most CAA events cost more than $200. “I do not feel the oversight in their reforms is appropriate,” she said. “The planning process and functionality of the group could be damaged.”

The athletics committee also will introduce the possible forming of a ticket distribution committee to review the process each year, Winslett said.

The biggest complaint from students regarding ticket distribution is the early morning line check-in, said CAA presidential candidate Hayes Holderness. “The line check has become obsolete because people just leave afterward,” he said.

Justin Johnson, the other CAA presidential hopeful, said he hopes the group will cut back the number of tickets it receives to only those who actually distribute bracelets.