Past SBP hopefuls look back

As this year’s student body president candidates battle for endorsements and finalize campaign strategy plans, past hopefuls can relax with the knowledge that the frenzy and pressure of public campaigning is no longer theirs.

After last year’s contested campaign — which resulted in two runoff elections — the former candidates can now look back at their experiences with the understanding that only hindsight brings.

“You have to realize what a short time you have to get it done and make people believe in you,” said former candidate Matt Liles.

While the 2005 field for student body president is composed of four candidates — Seke Ballard, Leigha Blackwell, Seth Dearmin and Tom Jensen — last year’s race saw eight candidates competing for student government’s top office.

“I told the candidates that I have spoken with to be sure of themselves,” said former candidate Ashley Castevens.

“You have to be confident in your ideas because it is unnerving for people to know who you are and to have an opinion of you and what you think.”

Once elected, the student body president must be able to deliver promises made on the campaign platforms.

Ideas featured on the platforms often are recycled from year to year.

“Focus on feasibility,” Liles said. “When you win, that’s when you go to work and focus on being president.”

Many of the issues that dominated last year’s campaign dialogue still are valid today, the former candidates said.

Former candidate Matt Compton ran on a platform that stressed fighting unreasonable tuition increases.

He also advocated increasing public service and improving UNC’s visibility in the state legislature.

As talks of tuition hikes continue on campus, Compton said he would not be surprised if one or more of the current candidates addressed the issue.

“This is the first time I have been a detached observer, and I am looking forward to hearing about their platforms,” he said.

With time running short for candidates to make their case to the student body, former candidates said it is imperative to use time wisely.

“There are an infinite number of things to be done,” said Student Body President Matt Calabria.

“Work accrues while you sleep.”

Given the limited time and resources, Calabria said it is important for the candidates to pour themselves into the campaign.

“I would encourage them not to be afraid of putting everything into it,” he said.

“The election is about what you as a candidate want to do.”

The former candidates all stressed the importance of maintaining a large and supportive staff.

Liles also said it is important not to micromanage during the campaign.

“Organize early,” he said. “You will get more votes and save yourself through delegating.”

Lily West, last year’s runner-up, said it is important to keep in mind that all of the candidates want what is best for the University.

“Never forget what you are running for,” she said. “Constantly thank your supporters and staff because they are the lifeblood of your campaign.”