Planned Parenthood to celebrate Roe anniversary

Online Exclusive

The 32nd anniversary of Roe v. Wade will be celebrated around the nation on Saturday.

To commemorate the anniversary, the Planned Parenthood of Central North Carolina Action Fund is holding a “Rock for Roe” concert.

Roe was the 1973 landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion in the country.

Several local bands will play at the benefit at 8:30 p.m. Saturday at Ooh La Latte in Durham. Proceeds from the concert will go to the Action Fund.

Natalie Fixmer, Planned Parenthood of Central North Carolina field coordinator, explained that Saturday’s concert has been dubbed the “Counter Inaugural Ball” in light of the Bush administration’s opposition toward abortion rights.

“This particular administration is really quite hostile toward reproductive rights,” she said.

As part of the anniversary, the fund held a breakfast Wednesday at the Freeman Center in Durham.

State legislators, community members and women’s rights activists came together to discuss and celebrate the issues surrounding Roe.

Planned Parenthood also honored Rep. Larry Womble, D-Forsythe, with the Champion of Reproductive Freedom Award at the breakfast.

Womble was a driving force behind a bill passed in 2003 that repealed a law allowing the involuntary sterilization of the mentally ill.

Former ambassador James Joseph and newly elected Sen. Julia Boseman, D-New Hanover, spoke at the breakfast.

Joseph, who served as the U.S. ambassador to South Africa, emphasized the need to fight to continue to fight for abortion rights.

“These are difficult and these are dangerous times,” he said. “Awesome and almost apocalyptic times.”

Joseph also criticized those who use the notion of values to discuss abortion issues.

“Far too many who speak of good values do so to suggest that someone else has bad values,” he said.

Boseman emphasized the importance of Roe to women’s health.

“It has improved the health and well-being of women and children across our state and across our nation,” she said.

Boseman also highlighted the need for increased education about reproductive health.

“While I support a woman’s right to choose, I also support making abortion more rare,” Boseman said. “Supporting reproductive health and family values is one of the most important things we can do.”

Fixmer explained that the significance of Roe was not simply women gaining abortion rights.

“The real significance of Roe is confirming the notion that women are moral decision makers.”