Proposal may alter funding

Scholarships, athletics would get boosts

In the eleventh hour before the University’s governing board finalizes recommendations for tuition and student fee increases, a two-part proposal to bolster funds for merit scholarships and athletic programs has surfaced.

Judith Wegner, chairwoman of the faculty, is calling for the chancellor and members of the Board of Trustees to reassess the allocation of funds garnered through trademark logo revenue. She also wants officials to increase the student athletic fee by $150.

“It is a policy call that maybe we need to realign, rethink and change,” she said. “I believe in fiscal responsibility. If you’ve got a chronic issue here, how do you weigh these demands?”

This proposal, which will debut during a special meeting of the Chancellor’s Committee on Student Fees today, comes at the peak of tuition discussions, when members of student government have just begun to solicit input and mobilize the student voice.

Student government is hosting a forum about tuition at 7 p.m. today in 116 Murphey Hall.

Trustees will vote on student fees and campus-based tuition increases during their meeting this week. In addition to a proposed $64.50 fee increase, three tuition-hike proposals are on the table: $350 for in-state students and $800 for out-of-state students; $300 in-state and $1,000 out-of-state; and $250 for residents and $1,200 for nonresidents.

The revenues generated through the tuition increases would fund need-based aid, teaching assistant salaries and faculty salaries as well as increase the size of the faculty — the priorities recommended by the Tuition Task Force.

But Wegner said other University needs — such as merit scholarships and a stable source of funding for athletics — must be addressed before it is too late.

“If it is a true need, we need to look at it in the eye and say it is a true need.”

The UNC-system Board of Governors, which must approve proposals before they are sent to the General Assembly, affirmed during its last meeting that requests to increase in-state tuition have little chance of surviving.

This decision has drawn increased worries from University administrators.

“If we want a Carolina degree to continue to have the power it does, the prestige it does, we have to keep the very best people here,” said Provost Robert Shelton. “The point is, these dollars are really needed to maintain quality at Carolina, and we didn’t come to see Carolina deteriorate.”

Wegner is recommending that trustees reallocate 100 percent of funds generated through trademark logo revenue to support academic scholarships. Policies now dictate that 75 percent of the revenue be reserved for scholarships and the remainder used for athletics.

To provide stable funding for athletics, Wegner is proposing that officials implement a $150 athletic fee increase immediately or in the next two to three years.

UNC’s athletic fees now tax students $98.50, and this year’s proposal recommend a $2 fee increase. Most schools in the UNC system charge between $300 and $400. Those in the ACC charge an average of $131.14.

“The problem is that this is all rather rushed, because some people are trying to get it in for the January meeting,” said Student Body President Matt Calabria.

“Everyone is scrambling to get everything prepared.”