Renovation to end in May;Memorial to open in Sept.

More than a year behind schedule, the renovation of Memorial Hall has been plagued by escalating costs and unforeseen setbacks.

But officials said Wednesday that the project is moving along — slowly.

The theater, which will seat more than 1,500, was originally slated for completion in 2004. It should be finished in May, and a formal opening ceremony is scheduled to take place in September.

“We’re getting really close,” said construction manager Lindsay Hopkins. “You can see the end in sight.”

As the bricks have gone up on one of the largest performance spaces on campus, so has the price.

Originally estimated to cost $14.5 million, the project now boasts a projected budget of more than $17.3 million, officials said.

In September, asbestos was discovered in parts of the building’s plaster ceiling and had to be removed, further padding the bill for the hall’s completion.

The discovery was not unlike an incident many months before, when contractors unexpectedly unearthed utility lines and had to reroute them.

Despite these expensive delays, most officials are optimistic about the venue’s completion this spring.

“We’re down to where there shouldn’t be any more setbacks,” Hopkins said.

Progress on Memorial Hall and other campus projects has been expedited by unseasonably warm weather, said Bruce Runberg, associate vice chancellor for planning and construction.

“I like to say they’re turning and burning,” he said of campus construction crews.

Runberg and Hopkins aren’t the only ones anxious to see Memorial Hall’s paint dry — the campus art community is itching to use the space.

Emil Kang, who took office as the University’s first executive director for the arts Jan. 1, has been working with campus groups to streamline the scheduling process.

Together with the Carolina Union Activities Board, Kang hopes to use the new facility to elevate the Carolina Union Performing Arts Series.

“In the next year or so you’ll see a variety of artists who represent the pinnacle of their field,” he said.

In scheduling these big acts, Kang faces the daunting task of balancing stage time between students and headliners.

“We can actually host all events, from all types of musical productions to solo recitals,” he said.

“Our goal is to streamline the system so it’s clear to everyone how to get a date in the venue.”

Union Director Don Luse said CUAB will be a significant part of the scheduling process as the building’s construction nears completion.

“This is a University campus, so students have to be very much involved.”

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.