Rocca agrees to give speech

TV personality to speak May 13

Mo Rocca has summed up the essence of the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s, but now he’s setting his sights on crafting a fitting tribute for the class of 2005.

The former “The Daily Show” correspondent and personality from VH1’s decade-themed variety series accepted a $19,500 offer Friday to deliver UNC’s first Senior Class Address.

Rocca will receive $18,000 in speaker fees, along with $1,500 to cover travel expenses for the May 13 event, which will take place on the steps of South Building.

Bringing Rocca to campus was a three-month collaborative effort waged by senior class officers, the executive branch of student government and the Student Advisory Committee to the Chancellor.

The groups’ work came to fruition with monetary aid through student fees, the Office of the Provost, the Division of Student Affairs and the Campus Y.

“It’s such a wonderful demonstration of how this campus can work together to make things happen for students,” said Senior Class Vice President Becca Frucht.

“I think the whole experience really kind of renewed my faith in the way these things can work out.”

Members of SACC, a group spearheaded by Student Body Vice President Alexa Kleysteuber, set the wheels in motion at their first meeting, noting that several seniors had expressed discontent about the Commencement speaker process.

The body created three plans to quell these concerns, each of which was received favorably by UNC administrators:

• The addition of a student to the Commencement speaker committee;
  • an annual meeting between Provost Robert Shelton and candidates for senior class president and vice president to explain the Commencement speaker selection process;
  • and the creation of the Senior Class Address.

Kleysteuber then consulted Senior Class President Jovian Irvin and Frucht, who drew names from their list of possible Commencement speakers.

After examining the options, Irvin said Rocca became the ideal choice.

“A lot of people are familiar with him,” she said. “At this point in his career, this is the kind of thing that he’s looking to do. … It just seemed to really work out.”

Kleysteuber, who also took on fund-raising duties and garnered $12,000 in student fees for the executive branch of student government Tuesday, said she was happy to hear of Rocca’s acceptance.

“My first reaction was just screaming over the phone,” she said. “It’s just really rewarding to see all that hard work and fund raising and coordination pay off.”

Along with Kleysteuber, Irvin and Frucht both expressed their hope that the senior address will become an annual tradition. The two also noted that students don’t have to wait until their graduation weekend to partake in the festivities — all students are invited to attend Rocca’s speech.

Frucht said, “This is definitely a Carolina affair.”