School board OKs middle college

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Board of Education voted unanimously Thursday to endorse the mission statement and approve funding for the planning and creation of a middle college program.

The program — a component of high school reform — will allow high school juniors in and around Chapel Hill to take honors high school classes at Durham Technical Community College.

Students also will be able to take college-level courses as electives.

City school board Chairwoman Lisa Stuckey said the program will provide another option for selected students to gain the high school experience.

“We know some students in the district just don’t fit in with the 1,000-plus students we have,” she said. “But those same students might be able to thrive in a smaller environment.”

In its first year, the program will be available to 50 students from Durham Public Schools, 25 from city schools and 25 from Orange County Schools.

Anne D’Annunzio, spokeswoman for county schools, said she sees this as a great opportunity for county students.

“Some students just prefer to focus on academics to get ahead, rather than joining clubs or participating in extracurricular activities,” she said.

D’Annunzio added that the program is not designed for students who have been in trouble, and it should not be viewed as a remedial program.

“The program is designed for capable students who want to do high-school work but aren’t necessarily engaged in their current high school setting,” she said.

D’Annunzio said that in order to proceed with planning, the statement still needs the endorsements of the school boards of Durham and Orange counties. It also needs an endorsement from Durham Tech.

Once each party endorses the statement, Stuckey said it will be a matter of working out details such as how students will be able to apply.

Durham Tech spokeswoman Wanda Winslow said classes will be held in whichever facilities the school has available.

It will be up to the high schools to provide a principal and staff for the program, Winslow added.

Neil Pedersen, superintendent of city schools, said he expects the program to start in early 2006.

“We’ve got some work to do to make that happen,” he told the school board.

“Right now, there’s about a 50-50 chance it will happen on time.”