Schools help tsunami effort

Local schools are continuing to find creative ways to aid in the international tsunami relief effort.

Students of all ages in the county have been gathering money, soliciting donations from businesses and bringing supplies to school to send to victims of the Dec. 26 tsunami, which according to Reuters has killed more than 297,000 people in Southeast Asia and Africa.

“When something bad happens somewhere in the world, kids are very empathetic,” said Anne D’Annunzio, spokeswoman for Orange County Schools. “They feel like they have some control to make it better."

Students at Pathways Elementary School in Hillsborough will participate today in a walk for tsunami relief. Each grade level will walk for one hour, and students can raise money by gathering pledges from family and friends.

“We tried to come up with something that would get the kids actively involved,” said Principal Connie Brimmer.

All students can participate in the walk, even if they don’t secure pledges today.

“I had to reinforce to them that this a serious type of walk,” said teacher Gina Rhoades. “It is more of a tribute for those who are in need.”

The school is sending pledges and donations through the Orange County chapter of the American Red Cross to the International Response Fund until Feb. 11.

Also scheduled this week is a tsunami relief concert hosted by McDougle Middle School at 6 p.m. Sunday. A $5 minimum donation is requested, and proceeds will be sent through the relief organization Mercy Corps to the town of Pottuvil, Sri Lanka, which was destroyed in the disaster.

Rajan Patel, a fifth grader at Glenwood Elementary School, suggested to the student council that the school raise funds for tsunami victims and donate it to the Red Cross.

“I’ve watched a lot right after supper on the news,” Patel said of the tsunami. “I just felt really bad for the people who got hit by the tsunami.”

Students at Glenwood already have raised almost $150, and donations will be accepted until Feb. 10.

Other student efforts already have paid off. On Monday, seventh graders at Culbreth Middle School gave $6,550 in donations to the county Red Cross chapter.

Students at Stanford Middle School collected 2,641 bottles of water to send as aid to the victims.

Students at Smith Middle School raised more than $400 by selling ribbons with the colors of the Indonesian and Sri Lankan flags.

“Every dollar counts and will help to provide a supply or water or something that will help some one,” said Rosetta Wash, executive director of the county Red Cross chapter.