Search nears end for deans of 2 schools

Decisions are likely to come next week

The UNC School of Dentistry and the School of Public Health are looking toward bright futures, as searches for new deans at the schools should come to a close next week at the Board of Trustees’ meeting.

Five candidates now remain for the School of Dentistry, and three candidates are being considered for the School of Public Health.

Provost Robert Shelton said he is negotiating with the candidate who he hopes will be announced as dean of the dental school.

Before any decision is finalized, the Board of Trustees must approve the candidate and the terms of his agreement.

“I felt very good about the whole pool of candidates,” Shelton said. “I feel particularly good about who we hope to bring here.”

When former dean John Stamm announced his resignation, a search committee comprising primarily faculty and staff in the School of Dentistry began working to find his replacement.

The list has been narrowed to five candidates who officials think exhibit a strong academic record, experience in running a complex organization and proficiency in their profession — key traits Shelton considered in his decision.

“The provost asked us not to rank them but to list the strengths and weaknesses of each candidate,” said Kerry Kilpatrick, chairman of the search committee.

Committee members said each remaining candidate is capable of assisting the dental school’s future endeavors.

Greg Chadwick, a private practitioner in Charlotte, is one of the finalists competing for the position of dean. Chadwick formerly served as president of the American Dental Association and graduated from the UNC School of Dentistry in 1974.

David Cochran, a professor and chairman of the Department of Periodontics at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, is another viable candidate for the dean position.

Bruce Graham is also one of the five finalists selected by the search committee. Graham now serves as dean of the University of Illinois at Chicago’s College of Dentistry.

John Williams, dean of the School of Dentistry at the University of Louisville, is another candidate chosen by the search committee.

Ray Williams, chairman of the Department of Periodontology in UNC’s School of Dentistry, is the only internal candidate chosen by the committee.

Kenneth May has been serving as interim dean of the School of Dentistry since December, when Stamm resigned from his post.

Officials said the search committee for a new dean of the School of Public Health also is looking at strong candidates as it nears the conclusion of its quest.

Willard Cates, the president and chief executive officer of the Institute for Family Health at Family Health International, is one of the three finalists.

The School of Public Health also has chosen Michael Merson, an Anna M.R. Lauder Professor and Dean of Public Health at Yale University.

The final candidate is Barbara Rimer, a professor in the Department of Health Behavior and Health Education at UNC.