Security system assuages artists

Carolina Union representatives have taken extra measures to ensure the safety of art in the current Union gallery exhibit.

A new security system is being installed in response to an incident in November, when artist Linda Ruth Dickinson’s painting “Temple” was stolen from the stairwell in which it was displayed.

“I’ve been a professional artist for almost 20 years, and this never has occurred before,” Dickinson said.

Dickinson, whose work is being displayed along with that of artists Gerry Lynch and Alison Overton, agreed to return for this month’s exhibit only if it the gallery was fit with a security system.

“This is the first time we’re using a security system for a temporary exhibit,” said Maggie Kao, art gallery chairwoman for the Carolina Union Activities Board.

The security system will be installed at an estimated cost of $870.

“CUAB is buying devices for the gallery, and they can be used for gallery exhibits in the future,” said Scott Hudson, associate director of the Union.

He said the benefits of investing in the system include an assurance that UNC will be able to bring in artists who will show their work only if it is protected.

Despite the addition of the security system, the Union gallery will be open to passersby as usual.

“We intend to keep this an open space as it always has been,” Kao said. “It’d really be a shame to close.”

Overton, whose surreal photography is displayed in the gallery, said this is the first exhibit in which her pieces were fitted with security devices.

“It’s just a real shame it happened in the first place,” she said.

Lynch, who specializes in metal works, said she is not concerned about thieves. “We’re taking a chance like all artists take a chance all the time.”

Dickinson described the collection as having a surrealist vibe, with each artist transforming traditional media. “We’re looking at the world another way, through our filters or veils.”

As for potential art thieves, Dickinson expressed optimism.

“Maybe (the person who took the painting) will come and view this exhibit and come away with something that makes them view the world differently — maybe more positively.”

While the exhibit opens today after the installation of the security system, the formal reception is scheduled for from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Jan 27.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.