The nitty-gritty of the political process began last week as the N.C. General Assembly returned to session.

After being sworn in Wednesday, legislators began the debate with a discussion on term lengths and legislative salaries.

Both the Senate and the House heard proposals to extend term lengths for legislators from two to four years. The proposals met with mixed responses.

“I think it’s ludicrous to have people running for state office every two years,” said Sen. Vernon Malone, D-Wake. He said that under the current system, officials must begin raising money for their next campaign just 10 months after being sworn into office.

Sen. Eddie Goodall, R-Mecklenburg, also supported the proposal, but for a different reason.

“It would place more emphasis on the elections.”

But Rep. Mitch Gillespie, R-Burke, said there would be fundamental difficulties under a four-year system.

“It makes it harder for citizens to get rid of bad legislators and puts too much power in the legislators’ hands,” he said.

Senators heard a proposal to raise legislative salaries but were unsure if it was the opportune moment for the move.

“As (an accountant) and as someone who has to make a living, it is extremely difficult to leave my job to work in the Senate,” Goodall said.

He added that, if passed, the proposal would make it possible for younger people to run for office and encourage more electoral competition.

Even so, Goodall wanted to be certain that the pay of teachers and other state employees was thoroughly examined in advance of senators granting themselves a raise.

Malone also thinks the proposal should be delayed.

“While I think the so-called pay is shameful, I’m not sure the timing is right to increase it,” he said, citing UNC’s request for additional student fees and the state’s $1.3 billion budget shortfall.

Legislators also began last week discussing various means for raising revenue to fill the budget hole. Proposals included a sales tax increase, a cigarette tax hike and a state lottery.

The sales tax increase would pay for the damage caused by hurricanes Floyd and Ivan.

While Goodall plans to oppose the increase in taxes because of a promise to his constituents, Malone said it’s necessary.

“I think that it’s reasonable since we are a billion dollars in the hole,” Malone said.

Ferrel Guillory, director of UNC’s Program on Southern Politics, Media and Public Life, said he doesn’t think the tax will be passed as an individual bill.

“It’s very difficult to pass a tax for a one-time thing,” he said, saying legislators instead will include the tax hike in the budget.

Although the cigarette tax revenue would go toward public health, it has met opposition from House Republicans.

“I’m not a fan of sin taxes,” said Rep. Stephen LaRoque, R-Greene. “I think it singles out one group of people.”

Gillespie, on the other hand, opposed it as a financial issue.

“I’m opposed to any tax increases, whether it’s sin taxes or extending the sales taxes for a year or two,” he said. “This is my fourth term in the General Assembly, and I’ve yet to be convinced that the state needs to raise taxes.”

But the bill is not without support — Rep. Bill Culpepper, D-Chowan, is strongly in favor of the tax.

“I’m a reformed smoker, so I don’t mind taxing cigarettes,” he said.

A lottery, another possible way to raise revenue, has also proved controversial.

Gillespie, who has voted against a lottery in the past, plans to do so again. “I don’t think it is the right thing to do for North Carolina,” he said.

But LaRoque sees the reward as greater than the risk.

“The bill I’m going to file is going to put 75 percent of the money to school construction and 25 percent of the money to state building.”

He said this method will help schools while allowing the state to keep bond payments at a minimum.

“The benefit is money,” he said. “The risk is: Do you want North Carolina to sponsor state-supported gambling?”

For the future, money — and how to generate it — appears to be the dominant issue.

“I think the budget is going to be the biggest issue for the rest of the term,” LaRoque said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.