State & national briefs

Police bust “Old School” party at Duke University

DURHAM — In what police say was an homage to the movie “Old School,” partying Duke University students were found in a fraternity house basement with an inflatable pool, a whole lot of baby oil and women in bikinis.

Police came upon the scene early Sunday after responding to a noise complaint.

“Inside were several of America’s future, re-enacting a scene from the movie ‘Old School,’ where females wrestle in a pool of lubricants,” police Sgt. D. Gunter said. In their version, the Duke students apparently opted for baby oil.

Officers said they cleared the house of the 200 revelers, sending some women home in the subfreezing temperatures in nothing more than the bikinis they wore.

Nicholas Hunter Roberts, who lives at the address, was charged with violating the city’s noise ordinance, a misdemeanor carrying a $150 fine.

There has been ongoing tension between students and residents of the neighborhoods that adjoin Duke’s East Campus. Other weekend parties in the area resulted in noise ordinance charges and a marijuana possession charge.

Alleged robber in Delaware calls victim to ask for a date

NEW CASTLE, Del. — Police say a man involved in the recent robbery of a Domino’s Pizza delivery woman would be a good candidate for “World’s Dumbest Criminal.”

Police say that after two men robbed the woman, one of them called her on his cell phone to apologize and to ask her out on a date.

The victim, 18, declined the request, instead giving the cell phone number to police, who arrested Brent Brown, 25, on Thursday.

Police also arrested Andre Moore, 18, and were looking for a 16-year-old linked to the crime.