Student affairs faces change

In a letter sent to University administrators late last week, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Margaret Jablonski announced a series of personnel changes to streamline the Division of Student Affairs, in hopes of becoming more responsive to student needs.

The changes, which will take effect March 1, mark one of the first public moves of Jablonski’s term since she came to UNC in August to the division, which lacked a permanent leader for about two years.

“It was like a domino effect — as soon as you started to move one thing, it impacted another,” she said. “It is my hope that students soon will notice more effective services because some programs will be more connected to other programs.”

The changes include the addition of two new associate vice chancellors, a senior associate dean of students and a director of development and external relations.

She said there will be minimal monetary impact to the division that has a total budget of $53.2 million for the 2004-05 fiscal year, with additional reserves of $16.1 million, and 683 employees — 253 staff personnel and 430 students.

While paperwork has yet to be finalized, Jablonski said, the promotions will amount to about an additional $20,000 for each of the two vice chancellors.

Jablonski has eliminated Cynthia Wolf Johnson’s position as the associate vice chancellor for student learning.

Johnson, who has worked at UNC for more than 22 years, declined to comment on whether she was asked to leave or decided to step down but said she is just beginning her search for a new position in higher education. She said she is not considering employment within the Division of Student Affairs.

Melissa Exum, who earns $99,737 as dean of students, will soon work as the second-highest ranking member as associate vice chancellor for student affairs. She will oversee many student life-oriented offices, including the Carolina Union, Campus Y and Counseling and Psychological Services.

Christopher Payne, who earns $92,969 as director of housing and residential education, soon will take responsibility for housing and residential education, technology and support systems, career services and Student Health Services.

In his 13th year at UNC, Winston Crisp will leave his post as associate dean for student services at the School of Law to serve under Exum as senior associate dean of students.

Crisp, who makes $94,500 a year, was responsible for establishing the student services department at the law school and will oversee several areas, including Greek affairs, judicial affairs, educational interventions and community relations.

“There is this renewed excitement, renewed energy and renewed commitment to academics,” he said. “The division will be more streamlined to help each and every student develop into the best student that they can be.”

Jablonski expressed her optimism for a new director of development and external relations to bolster fund raising, communications and publication, and alumni relations.