Summer reading group nears pick

Tyson novel leads committee's list

Members of the summer reading committee almost selected “Blood Done Sign My Name: A True Story,” by Timothy B. Tyson as the novel that incoming students will read this summer but decided to postpone the decision until Wednesday to allow time for extra reflection.

Out of an original pool of more than 200 suggestions and about a half-dozen meetings, only two other books remain in question — the close second, “Mountains Beyond Mountains” by Tracy Kidder, and “Life of Pi” by Yann Martel.

“Students will be absorbed by these books,” said Academic Advisor Diane McKay.

Committee members praised Tyson’s book, which tackles civil rights issues in North Carolina during the 1970s, calling it a pleasurable read that is rich in history.

While all members expressed enthusiasm about the book, some were hesitant about how discussion groups would react to the potentially heavy subject matter when they meet in August.

Some predicted the issues raised in the book would stir up controversy, while others feared they would cause students to clam up altogether.

In past years, the summer reading selection has triggered campuswide controversy, as with a lawsuit spurred by the 2002 selection, “Approaching the Qur’