Teacher pleads guilty to charges

A local elementary-school teacher pled guilty Thursday in Orange County District Court to five charges related to child abuse and assault.

Kathleen Yasui-Der, a former teacher at Frank Porter Graham Elementary School, was arrested Aug. 24 and charged with two counts of assault on a handicapped person, two counts of contributing to the neglect of a minor and one count of child abuse.

Yasui-Der had taught at Frank Porter Graham for 12 years and was the school’s 2002-03 teacher of the year.

The charges were brought against her by parents of two former students.

“This wasn’t an easy decision,” said Thomas Maher, Yasui-Der’s attorney, referring to her choice to plead guilty.

Maher said the plea quieted Yasui-Der’s main concern: having a criminal record.

“I wish this had been resolved without a criminal trial to begin with,” he said.

“I feel it is a good outcome,” said Jacqueline Perez, the prosecuting attorney for the District Attorney’s office. “If the parents hadn’t been satisfied with the arrangement, we would have proceeded with the trial.”

Barbara Kuller, mother of one of the alleged victims, testified Thursday. Kuller’s son was diagnosed with autism several years ago while attending Frank Porter Graham. He was placed into Yasui-Der’s class after the traditional classroom did not meet his needs.

“My son is a really sweet and wonderful child,” Kuller said.

Mary Hopson, whose 10-year-old son was the other alleged victim in the case, also testified.

Erin Casey, who was an in-class facilitator for children with special needs at the school, testified that she witnessed Yasui-Der hit Kuller’s son.

After demonstrating what she had witnessed for Judge Charles Anderson, the court recessed and came back with a plea agreement that many might not have expected.

Yasui-Der pleaded guilty under the Alford plea — not an admittance of the charges, but an acknowledgement that there is sufficient evidence for a conviction.

The agreement states that Yasui-Der will have an inactive teacher’s license for one year, undergo psychological analysis and write a letter of apology to the parents.

“In the long run it’s a good result,” Maher said. “If she does what she is supposed to do, it will be dismissed.”

Friends of Yasui-Der came to court ready to testify but were unable to because the agreement had already been reached.

“This is a sad, sad day,” said Ginny Berg, former principal of Frank Porter Graham. “We’ve lost a truly outstanding teacher, and it’s getting increasingly difficult to get teachers of her caliber.”

Others were satisfied with the final decision made by the court.

“I’m pleased to hear she’s pleaded guilty to all five charges,” Kuller said. “I wish that everyone would have heard the rest of the testimony because there was so much to be said.”

Yasui-Der will have to appear in court in one year, and the presiding judge will decide whether to dismiss the case.