Town's move to annex passes sans struggle

As Carrboro seeks resolution to its controversial annexation proposals, Chapel Hill is adding new areas with little debate.

The Chapel Hill Town Council passed an annexation services plan for the areas of Larkspur and Vineyard Square on Monday night.

The plans will allow for the areas, if annexed, to receive services provided by the town of Chapel Hill, including solid waste collection and street maintenance services.

The areas also would receive water and sewer, parks and recreation, police, fire and public transportation services.

Acquiring Vineyard Square will cost Chapel Hill almost $70,000 for the fiscal year 2005-06 but will result in almost $180,000 in revenue for the town.

The Larkspur site will cost the town about $29,000 for the first fiscal year, while generating a revenue of about $126,000.

Together, the annexations will garner more than $200,000 in revenue for the town during that first year.

The 2006-07 fiscal year will result in almost $380,000 in revenue between both sites.

The council agreed to proceed with the annexation plans with no objections, but recognized council member Jim Ward’s request for further information on additional costs the town could incur.

Ward asked Town Manager Cal Horton to compile data on how much it would cost to annex these sites and to provide them with adequate fire and police services.

“I just wanted the Town Council and the citizens to be aware of additional costs,” he said.

“(I want them to be) aware up front that these annexations do have these costs associated with them.”

The service report stated that the Chapel Hill Fire and Police departments would not have to add positions to provide services to the residents of the annexed areas.

Vineyard Square will be adding 5.5 persons per its 44.4 acres, and Larkspur will add 2.3 persons per its 33.4 acres.

Chapel Hill police spokeswoman Jane Cousins said the police department performed an analysis to examine whether it would need to add positions.

“We could handle the calls without adding any resources,” she said.

Catherine Lazorko, town information officer, said the information that Ward requested should be available no later than March 21, the date of the public hearing on the proposed annexations.

A public information meeting on the annexations will be held at 4 p.m. March 3 at the Chapel Hill Public Library.