UNC graduate may be top choice for FCC post

A UNC alumnus could assume the top job in deciding what is acceptable to see and hear on the nation’s airwaves.

Federal Communications Commissioner Kevin Martin, a Republican, is said by pundits to be the front-runner for chairman of the FCC. Current Chairman Michael Powell announced Friday that he will be stepping down.

“Local boy done good,” said Blair Levin, Martin’s former co-worker and an analyst and managing director at Legg Mason, a financial services firm.

Born in Charlotte, Martin received a bachelor’s degree in political science from UNC. While attending the University, he was elected student body president and was a Phi Beta Kappa and a member of the Order of the Golden Fleece.

He received his master’s in public policy from Duke University, then continued on to Harvard Law School.

Last year, Martin won a Distinguished Young Alumni Award from UNC’s General Alumni Association.

Levin said Martin has raised a lot of concern about the indecency on broadcast. “He’s been pivotal on a lot of things,” he said.

He also said that although Martin is not chairman yet, he already has a powerful position in the FCC.

Bush nominated Martin as a member of the FCC in 2001.

“Kevin has played a very primary role … even as a commissioner.”

Martin also serves as chairman of both the Federal-State Joint Board on Separations and the Federal-State Joint Conference on Advanced Telecommunications.

He was deputy general counsel to the 2000 Bush campaign and helped observe the Florida recounts after that year’s presidential election.

As a current member of the FCC, Martin will not have to undergo a Senate confirmation hearing if he is nominated.

Levin said Martin is a good lawyer and a man of “enormous intelligence.”

“I say that as a Democrat,” Levin said. “He’s a terrific guy.”

Before he joined forces with Bush, Martin worked at the Washington, D.C., law firm of Wiley, Rein & Fielding.

“(He’s) one of the most outstanding associates we’ve had,” said Richard Wiley, managing partner at the firm.

“I remember being impressed with his acumen,” he said. He said Martin is a friendly, open individual who is bright and easy to work with.

“He would be capable of doing the job, in my opinion,” he said.

Levin and Wiley are not the only people praising Martin.

The Parents Television Council strongly supports Martin’s appointment as chairman. The PTC is considered by officials to be one of the most powerful organizations opposing sexual content, violence and profanity in the media.

“Chairman Powell’s departure gives President Bush an opportunity to appoint a chairman who actually believes in and who will enforce the federal laws regarding broadcast indecency,” states PTC President L. Brent Bozell in a Jan. 21 press release.

“The PTC strongly supports the FCC Commissioner Kevin Martin as chairman of the FCC,” he said. “He is a stalwart leader on the issue of indecency and would make a superb chairman.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.