Unity leads forum's focus

Platform key to BSM approval

Minority issues will be a top priority for student body president hopefuls tonight as they vie for an endorsement at the annual candidates’ forum hosted by the Black Student Movement.

Members said they are looking to endorse a candidate who will express a continued commitment to the BSM and who has a dedicated attitude toward fulfilling platform promises, said president Erin Davis.

“I think that members like to see someone who is serious about including minority issues in their platforms,” she said.

BSM members also said they want someone who will represent and unite the entire student body.

BSM Vice President Brandon Hodges said he would like to see increased minority representation on the elected president’s cabinet and improved relations between student government and minority students.

Student body president hopefuls said they considered these desires when drafting their platforms. All four candidates — Seke Ballard, Leigha Blackwell, Seth Dearmin and Tom Jensen — have made minority issues key components of their platforms.

Ballard said he intends to make sure that minorities are well-represented on campus. He said he plans to have student government collaborate with the multicultural advisory board to bring cultural events about international issues to campus.

“I hope to get across that diversity is a much broader issue than black and white,” Ballard said. “It includes everything from geographical and political backgrounds to ethnicity and religious views.”

Ballard said his prior involvement with the BSM demonstrates his sincerity in his commitment to the organization.

Blackwell said she plans to promote monthly forums created by the minority affairs committee and to have strong minority representation on her cabinet.

“I want to create a sentiment of mutual respect across campus,” she said. “While we have differences, it is important to remember that we are all part of a Carolina family and need to have respect for one another.”

Dearmin said he is committed to actively recruiting outspoken minority leaders for student government positions.

“In the past, it’s been talked a lot about having a diverse cabinet,” he said. “But we need to be proactive in seeing that minorities participate in student government.”

Dearmin added that minority groups extend beyond the spectrum of race.

Jensen said he believes his past record of working for minorities enhances his platform. He helped set up meetings with Chapel Hill and Carrboro businesses earlier this year to discuss issues of racism.

His commitment to minority affairs extends to his hometown of Ann Arbor, Mich., where he said he ran campaigns for black school board candidates.

“Working for African Americans is something I’ve been committed to for a very long time and will continue to be for the rest of my life,” he said.

The BSM endorsement carries considerable weight because the organization is one of the largest student groups at UNC.

“The Black Student Movement has specific goals, and we can express these goals through a candidacy endorsement,” said Hodges, the vice president.

The forum will be held from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. in the Student Union’s multipurpose room.