Aldermen delay vote on land use

At a public hearing Tuesday on revisions to the town’s land-use ordinance, the Carrboro Board of Aldermen refused to vote on a proposed amendment related to types of group housing allowed in town limits, citing inaccuracies in wording.

The aldermen delayed voting on the proposal, a clarification of a June 2004 amendment that brought the town’s land-use ordinance into compliance with the federal Fair Housing Act. Its approval would further clarify the types of group homes permitted in residential zones.

The proposal will also bring potential group-home projects into the normal review process applied to all new developments, which includes community input.

“Under the proposal, these homes can’t go into neighborhoods as a matter of right,” Town Attorney Mike Brough said of the federal act.

But aldermen and representatives of local mental health care facilities voiced opposition to the specific portion of the proposal that would divide group homes that provide mental health care into two categories.

The second type, known as group B homes, includes residents who might be a danger to themselves or others, although no such facilities now exist in the state.

Any person meeting those requirements would be institutionalized, not placed in a group home.

Brough said the language of the proposal is comparable to state definitions of mental illness and retardation.

Mental health care workers found the wording of the proposal stigmatizing to their clients.

“To my knowledge, there are no group homes in Carrboro or in North Carolina that meet group B definitions,” said David Chapman, president and CEO of Caremore Community Inc.

“The language (of the amendment) is unnecessary, unfair, misleading and shamefully cruel,” he added.

John Santucci, program director at Lutheran Family Services’ Booth Road Home, who sent a memorandum opposing the proposal to the aldermen Feb. 16, spoke Tuesday.

“The majority of mentally ill adults are not a danger to others,” Santucci said. “This wording is going to alarm the community.”

Mayor pro tem Diana McDuffee said the aldermen should discuss how the definitions of group homes, mental illness and retardation are worded in the proposal. She asked that town staff form a task force of area mental health workers and experts to advise the board.

Besides the controversially worded amendment, the aldermen were pleased that the review of the town’s land-use ordinance is progressing.

The review is part of the town’s Carrboro Vision2020 plan and integrates the aldermen’s 2004-05 goals, including affordable housing and the downtown neighborhood overlay district, town planning administrator Trish McGuire said.

The ultimate goal of the revision is to anticipate the town’s future land-use needs and address current projects.