ASG to lobby for student aid in D.C.

Members of the UNC-system Association of Student Governments will take their message on the road this week, meeting in Washington, D.C., with the state’s congressional delegates.

At least two representatives from each of the 16 system campuses will be lobbying legislators on key provisions of the Higher Education Act. This will be the first time the ASG has lobbied Congress as a concerted group.

“We want to show that students care about issues like the Higher Education Act,” said Matt Calabria, student body president at UNC-Chapel Hill. He is one of three students representing the University on the trip.

ASG members will focus on Title IV of the act, which provides federal financial aid to students.

Student voices are some of the most important in the financial debate, said Kimrey Rhinehardt, assistant vice president of federal relations for the UNC system. “They are the customers we are serving.”

ASG members planned late last year to travel to the Capitol, but Congress did not get around to renewing the HEA at the end of 2004 session.

“There usually isn’t a strong showing of students (when Congress votes on this act), and we need to have a presence there,” said Jonathan Ducote, director of federal relations for the ASG.

Members want to make sure that N.C. delegates and the Department of Education are aware of student concerns, especially financial aid for undergraduate and graduate students.

President Bush has made motions to increase the number of Pell

Grants available to students, but Congress ultimately will decide how much money is available for financial aid programs.

“We’re hoping to see some tangible results, and we’re working to build a bridge with the North Carolina delegation,” Ducote said.

ASG representatives will meet today with those delegates to discuss student issues.

Ducote said student lobbyists need to see where Congress members stand on these issues and what they plan to do to help students.

“We need to get together, voice our positions and put a personal face on the problem,” Ducote said.

ASG members will meet Thursday with policy experts and officials from the Department of Education to discuss the challenges faced in budgeting financial aid.

“We need to get across the message that the states are doing all they can, families are doing all they can and students are doing all they can,” Ducote said. “Everyone’s maxed out. We need relief from Congress.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.