Berry kicks off history month

Civil rights expert focuses on past leaders

Although small in stature, distinguished scholar Mary Frances Berry brought grand personality and grace to the stage Thursday night as spoke of a relatively unknown figure in the reparations movement.

A diverse, vibrant audience reacted with laughter, nods of approval and sounds of surprise as Berry delivered the first African American History Month Lecture, titled “Callie House and the Enduring Significance of the Black Reparations Movement, 1987 to Present,” at the Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History.

The talk focused on Callie House, a little-known black woman who advocated for reparations for ex-slaves in the 1890s and who is the subject of Berry’s forthcoming book. House was born a slave and later, as a widow with five children, worked as a washing woman. She was jailed during her fight for reparations.

“This is an important corrective to the history,” Berry said, highlighting the importance of remembering the work of early black activists.

A ceremony preceded the lecture to honor Berry and to celebrate the first of many annual lectures to commemorate Black History Month.

Representatives from several sponsoring departments spoke, including William Ferris, associate director of the Center for the Study of the American South.

Ferris cited Berry as “a national treasure” and a “truly outstanding scholar.”

Ferris also stressed the importance of forging a partnership across the University to recognize black culture.

“It’s time to come together,” Ferris said. “It’s time, and we’re proud of it.”

Performances by the Black Student Movement’s a cappella group, Harmonyx, and junior Pierce Freelon added a youthful flavor to the ceremony, representing the next generation of African Americans to observe Black History Month.

“We are very pleased with the response from the campus community,” said history professor Genna Rae McNeil, who presided over the ceremony. “And the lecturer set a very high standard.”

Berry said she was pleased with the evening. “The ceremony was beautiful,” she said. “The whole thing was just really nicely done.”

The lecture was sponsored by the Department of History in collaboration with 10 other University units.

Berry, Geraldine Segal distinguished professor of social thought and a history professor at the University of Pennsylvania, is heralded for making and writing history.

Recognized for her advocacy, Berry holds a law degree and was the first black woman to serve as the chief educational officer in the Department of Health, Education and Welfare.

Berry also was a member of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights from 1980 to 2004, serving as its first chairwoman from 1993 to 2004, and co-founder of the Free South Africa Movement. She also has written several books and holds 32 honorary degrees.

Ferris reiterated the importance of keeping stories like House’s alive.

“These are the stories of people that … are the heartbeat of our nation’s culture. They help us to rediscover America.”