Big platforms propelled pair of candidates

Hopefuls in runoff made key promises

In student body president campaigns, it seems that size does matter.

Promise for promise, candidates Seke Ballard and Seth Dearmin had the largest platforms of the four original contenders, offering incentives to many campus voters.

Dearmin and Ballard will meet in a runoff election Tuesday after having won 40 percent and 27 percent of the vote, respectively, in this week’s general election.

Both candidates pointed to their platforms as the tool that increased their leverage over former student body president candidates Leigha Blackwell and Tom Jensen.

But what Blackwell and Jensen’s platforms lacked in size they made up for with concrete themes.

Jensen’s campaign, promising “more for your money,” offered an intensive reform of student government geared toward serving students better and cutting $60,000 from the budget.

Blackwell proposed reorganizing student government as a hub for events and information pertinent to the student body.

Despite their promises, both wound up short in the election.

Ballard and Dearmin attributed the strength of their campaigns to the wide variety of student interests addressed in their respective platforms.

Ballard promises to create an endowment that will bring top speakers to campus, while Dearmin plans to bring wireless Internet to Franklin Street.

“We started out brainstorming ideas that would be good ideas,” Ballard said. “We picked the highest priorities on wide-ranging interests for students.”

Adrian Johnston, Dearmin’s campaign manager, attributed his candidate’s success to an extensive and comprehensive platform.

“It was so strong because it was all about making life easier for students,” Johnston said. “I think that there are just so many different themes running through this campus. … There are a lot of diverse needs on campus.”

Though success in student elections can be linked to the size of the platform, the strategy has potential to result in failure in office. Promises aimed at diverse interests require a president to devote attention to numerous fronts.

But Ballard said he has no doubt that his campaign promises could be completely fulfilled in office, pointing to the explanations that accompany each platform plank.

“You don’t see a promise,” he said. “You see a plan of action.”

Dearmin also assured the feasibility of his platform.

During the fall semester, Dearmin researched and organized his platform with the help of about 20 campaign workers, Johnston said. The group interviewed students, student leaders and administrators to validate the promises’ possibility.

“I’m the first to admit I’m an optimist,” Dearmin said. “But everything that is on the platform is feasible.”

Students will measure the strength of Dearmin and Ballard’s platforms during Tuesday’s runoff election.

Though Ballard trailed by 887 votes in the general election, he said he is confident that he can make up the difference to win.

He said he does not anticipate making changes to his platform and instead will try to gain votes by appealing directly to students.

“I hope to make up that route by personal contact,” he said. “Now I want to reach out students.”