BOG to see fresh blood

16 of UNC-system board's seats up for grabs

The governing body of the UNC system is ready for a new round of elections.

A total of 16 seats on the Board of Governors will be up for election by the General Assembly, with 12 incumbents vying for their current positions.

The exception in this year's race is board member Addison Bell, who will step down before his four-year term is over.

"I am just ready to retire," said Bell, a six-year member. "It's been my pleasure to serve on the board. I'm sure they will have very fine candidates to select from."

New members also will be elected to fill seats vacated by members who have served the maximum of three consecutive four-year terms.

Former Vice Chairman Irvin Aldridge will be "termed out," as will Jack Cecil and Bert Collins.

In the past, people who wanted to be considered for the position had to be sponsored by a member of the legislature.

"In many instances, you know the sponsors," Cecil said.

Once a sponsor is named, the candidates have to make themselves known to the other members of the chamber, he said.

"Sometimes, you have to run a campaign," Cecil said. "You just go by and introduce yourself to all the members of the legislature."

While incumbents have the benefit of experience working with legislators, their re-election is not a shoo-in, said Brad Wilson, chairman of the BOG.

And incumbents, as well as new candidates, generally need to find a sponsor each time, said board member Bradley Adcock.

Before any votes are cast, each chamber of the General Assembly must decide upon the exact operating procedures. The rules must be re-evaluated every two years.

"Each house of the General Assembly sets its own rules," Wilson said.

The Senate will move forward today with the introduction of a bill proposing those guidelines. Wilson said that the rules do not vary extensively from year to year, but that the exact voting day changes.

The standing legislation governing the elections requires that they be completed within 30 days of the creation of the education committees in the General Assembly, which is not on a consistent day each year.

Until the rules are approved, the incumbents and candidates have time to prepare for their election and for the next four years.

"We have been privileged to serve, and I hope the Senate will give me the opportunity to serve one more time," Wilson said. "But that is certainly within their discretion."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.