Bush talks up social security

RALEIGH — In his first trip to the state since being re-elected, President Bush told about 1,700 Tar Heels what he’s been telling the nation for weeks — that Social Security reform sits atop his agenda this term.

Bush, who spoke at the BTI Center for the Performing Arts, said he would work diligently to convince voters that Social Security is in jeopardy of going broke in 2018.

“I’ll make it clear that there is a problem,” he said. “It’s gonna take me a while.”

Many past presidents acknowledged that Social Security needs some sort of reform but failed to gain support for any initiatives. But Bush said he will solve the problem and not pass the buck to others. “We got a lot of work to do.”

His proposals would allow young people to invest a portion of their wages voluntarily into private investment accounts, which he says will give them a stake in their future.

“If you own something, you have a vital stake in your community,” he said.

The purpose of conducting town hall meetings, Bush said, is to allow voters to also hear about his recently submitted budget proposals.

“It’s lean, focused and sets priorities,” he said. “If we have programs that are not working, let’s get rid of them.”

At that point, the tightly packed conservative crowd, which spent hours waiting in the blustery wind, honored Bush with one of many standing ovations.

The president’s stop in North Carolina was part of a five-state tour. He headed to Pennsylvania after his stop in Raleigh.

With former Sen. Jesse Helms, a Tar Heel political legend, in the audience, Bush stumped in a state whose own Republican delegation is leery about the plan.

“For those worried about the politics about Social Security, I ran on it twice,” Bush said. “I believe candidates are rewarded, not punished, for taking on tough issues.”

Although the war on terrorism dominated Bush’s first term, he spoke only briefly about the spreading of democracy.

“Millions of Iraqi citizens said they will not be terrorized and went to the polls,” he said. “Freedom is on the march.”

Alongside Bush on stage were four North Carolinians who talked about situations in their life.

Andrew Biggs also accompanied Bush to the event. Biggs, a Social Security Administration analyst, took a needling from Bush.

“Andrew has a Ph.D., and I earned a C,” Bush said. “Look who’s working for who.”

Biggs told the crowd, “You don’t need a Ph.D. to understand this. He will get me back later.”

A group of about 100 protesters holding signs that read “Hands off my Social Security” also welcomed Bush to Raleigh.

But audience members were vocal about their support.

Vitaly Zaruoba, 67, of New Bern, said he made the trip because he is worried about his children’s Social Security. “I froze to death in line,” he said. “I hope people are intelligent enough to listen to Bush’s plan.”

Another supporter, Lisa Shaeaffer, 34, of Raleigh, wanted to see Bush up close. “I wanted to see the president live and in person,” she said. “I think he is a great speaker.”

Shaeaffer agreed that Bush is in for a battle in convincing millions that his plan will work.

“It’s a great idea, and he needs to talk about it more,” she said. “He’s going to have to rely on word of mouth.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.