Campus briefs

Broken steam line sets off fire alarm at Fetzer Gym

A steam line broke in Fetzer Gym early Tuesday morning, setting off the fire alarm, according to University police reports.

At 12:33 a.m., a gasket estimated at $100 broke, releasing the steam. A plumber was summoned and shut off water to the gym, reports state.

No other damage was reported, and the incident is under further investigation.

UNC takes workplace title for best academic institution

After evaluating 125 U.S. institutions and 66 foreign institutions, The Scientist magazine listed UNC as first among U.S. academic institutions in the category of “best places to work for postdocs.”

The University also was named the No. 6 overall institution, which included government institutions and private research centers, in the magazine’s third annual survey, released Friday.

The publication asked more than 40,000 post-doctorates to respond to the survey and garnered 3,500 responses.

The study took several factors into account, including access to research equipment, training experience and mentoring relationships.

Peace Corps recognizes UNC as a leading member driver

The Peace Corps listed UNC as 14th among large U.S. colleges and universities in a recent list of “Top Producing Colleges and Universities.”

UNC has 60 graduates partaking in the Peace Corps, which now has more than 7,700 volunteers working in 71 countries.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide