City briefs

Downtown group to discuss improvements for Web site

The Downtown Economic Development Corporation’s Web site development subcommittee will meet Thursday to continue discussions on improving its Web site.

Specifically, the corporation will discuss its request for funding proposal for improvements to its Web site, which currently is linked at http://www.ci.chapel-hill.nc.us/chdedc/index.htm.

The meeting will begin at 7:30 a.m. at the corporation’s office at 308 W. Rosemary St., Suite 202.

Citizens’ budget committee to meet Thursday morning

Chapel Hill’s budget review advisory committee will continue discussions of next fiscal year’s budget outlook at 7:30 a.m. Thursday at Town Hall.

The citizen-based committee, the first in more than a decade to work as advisers with the Town Council in developing the budget, will continue its discussions, along with its consultant, MAXIMUS Inc.

Town Manager Cal Horton informed the council at its January planning retreat that the town could face a 9.6-cent property tax increase because of, among other things, new capital undertakings and increasing debt service from voter-approved bonds.

County Commissioners OK new conservation technician

The Orange County Board of Commissioners agreed Tuesday to create a permanent full-time parks conservation technician for the county recreation and parks department, effective March 1.

Commissioners authorized $16,547 to fund the position, which has been discussed as a way to meet growing park supervision needs created by the opening of new county parks such as the Little River Regional Park, near the border of Orange and Durham counties.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide