City briefs

County commissioners seek help on 2 advisory boards

The Orange County Board of Commissioners is looking for help on two of its citizen advisory boards.

Commissioners are seeking two volunteers to serve on the nine-member board of directors for the Orange Water and Sewer Authority.

The board fixes operating policies on issues such as billing, budgeting, rates and water and sewer extensions. OWASA is the public, nonprofit water and sewer agency responsible for the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area.

Commissioners also are seeking volunteers to serve on the animal services advisory board, the primary advisory body for the Orange County Animal Services Department, charged with providing input and advice to the department’s staff.

Volunteers now needed on the board include: county residents who are veterinarians, certified animal trainers, technicians and handlers, members of animal advocacy/welfare groups, and any other interested citizens.

Applications and information on either board can be obtained by calling the county clerk at 245-2125 or sending an e-mail to mevans@co.orange.nc.us.

Applications also can be downloaded from the county’s Web site at http://www.co.orange.nc.us, by clicking on the Volunteer Boards icon.

Authority to treat water with chlorine during March

In March, the same as the last two years, the Orange Water and Sewer Authority will use chlorine instead of chloramines for disinfection.

The change, which occurs annually, helps ensure a high level of disinfection in the community’s network of water mains, according to a press release from OWASA.

North Carolina standards require OWASA and other utilities that normally use chloramines for disinfection to instead use chlorine for one month each year.

Although OWASA customers might notice that the water will have a chlorine taste or odor in March, it will be safe to drink.

OWASA crews also will be releasing water from fire hydrants during March to ensure that water with chlorine goes through the entire system.

Questions on the change should be directed to Rachel Monschein, water treatment plant laboratory supervisor, at 537-4227, or Doug Terry, water supply and treatment manager, at 537-4229.