City briefs

Local middle school wins award for safe environment

C.W. Stanford Middle School was one of 40 schools statewide recognized Thursday as a 2004-05 Super Safe School for providing a safe learning environment for children and educators.

Stanford and other winners were recognized at the 2005 Safe Schools and Character Education Conference, held at the Sheraton Imperial in Research Triangle Park.

The Triple “S” School Award was established by the Department of Public Instruction’s school improvement division to recognize public schools’ exemplary efforts to ensure the safety of students and staff.

To receive recognition as a Super Safe School, schools voluntarily submit a portfolio documenting the safety processes they have in place.

Greenways commission seeks award nominations

The Chapel Hill Greenways Commission is seeking nominations of individuals or groups for its fifth annual Chapel Hill Greenways and Open Space Awards to recognize those who have made valuable contributions to preserve or enhance area greenways and open space.

The commission is seeking nominations of those who have made contributions such as building new trails, improving existing greenways, making monetary contributions, donating open space or greenway land, cleaning channels or streams or providing outdoor and/or natural education.

Nominations should be returned to the commission at the Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation Department, at 200 Plant Road, or faxed to 932-2923.

Town Council to host bevy of public hearings tonight

The Chapel Hill Town Council will hold various public hearings tonight.

Council members invite public comment on the Montessori Community Schools’ application for a special-use permit to expand its facility, located off Pope Road, to include a new middle school classroom building and a new fine arts/gymnasium building.

Public comment also is invited on a special-use permit request to construct the Southern Community Park and associated improvements, on U.S. 15-501 South.

The proposal includes playing fields and courts, trails, picnic areas, a dog park, restrooms, 229 parking spaces, a recycling center and a site for a future community center.

The council also will hold hearings on Land Use Management Ordinance text amendments, one to change car and bike parking regulations and one to change subdivision plan certification provisions; proposed revisions to the town’s Energy Conservation Ordinance; and a concept plan for the Homestead Road residential property.

Hillsborough department invites feedback on design

The Hillsborough Planning Department will hold a design workshop tonight on the proposed redesign of Churton Street, the town’s main downtown thoroughfare.

From 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Town Barn, citizen comment and input is invited on the long-range plan to make the 3-mile stretch more pedestrian-friendly and aligned with surrounding roads.

The workshops are the first in plans for the redesign. Town officials hope to receive more concrete proposals by the fall.