City briefs

Orange County, OWASA purchase tract of farmland

Orange County and the Orange Water and Sewer Authority announced Thursday the joint purchase of a 125-acre conservation easement on farmland in the Cane Creek watershed.

As part of the county’s Lands Legacy program aimed at preserving farmland and an initiative to protect the Cane Creek Reservoir’s water quality by limiting future development and protecting buffer areas along streams, both entities purchased the land from John and Carolyn Lloyd for about $125,000.

Late last fall, the Orange County Board of Commissioners and the OWASA board of directors approved an agreement to share the responsibility of paying for and acquiring conservation easements on the Lloyds’ land and a second property also under consideration.

The Cane Creek Reservoir is the primary water source for OWASA customers in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area.

Hillsborough seeks public feedback on event series

Supporters of the Hillsborough Last Fridays series are encouraged to attend a planning meeting on the series from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday.

Held at the Artist Coop, at 102 W. King St., the session will be an opportunity for residents to voice concerns and give suggestions for the series, a number of festival-like events held on the last Friday of selected months throughout the year.

Anyone in the community is encouraged to attend the session, sponsored by the Hillsborough Arts Council.