County mulls sportsplex

Online exclusive

The Orange County Board of Commissioners must decide soon if the price is right before spending $6 million to buy the Triangle SportsPlex in Hillsborough.

Commissioners allotted an additional $10,000 Tuesday to continue assessments of the complex — which includes three swimming pools, an ice skating rink and a fitness center.

The money will be tacked on to $30,000 the county already has spent in evaluating the 82,000-square-foot complex.

“The price and condition of the facility are going to make a difference to the commissioners,” said Assistant County Manager Rod Visser. “That’s why we’re carrying out what we’re doing right now.”

County staff has been evaluating the property since the fall to aid in the commissioners’ decision of whether to buy the complex.

The county now subsidizes the property, paying $400,000 annually to owner Eaton Vance Corp. of Boston to ensure that county residents have access to the facilities.

And although the 10-year contract with the corporation expires in March, commissioners still had questions Tuesday about whether they should acquire the facility.

“I’d have to see some solid evidence to see why we should pay $6 million,” said Commissioner Alice Gordon.

She requested that an earnings potential for the complex be presented to the commissioners before any decisions are made.

“I want to make sure that … we have a handle on what the SportsPlex costs because you know Eaton Vance is going to try to get top dollar for this,” she said.

Owning the facility would ensure that residents in the northern and central parts of the county have access to recreational facilities more equal to those in the southern part of the county, said Commissioner Stephen H. Halkiotis, emphasizing the importance of the swimming pools.

County ownership also would allow the county to go ahead with expansion plans for the Orange County Senior Center, said County Manager John Link.

The senior center, now operating on rented space near the SportsPlex, would be expanded 15,000 square feet if the SportsPlex is county-owned.

The county already has hired firms to assess both the finances of the complex and the quality of the infrastructure and equipment at the complex.

The additional $10,000 approved Tuesday will go to evaluating the quality of the ice rink.

If the county decides to buy the property, options for ownership include enlisting a nonprofit organization to manage and operate the facility or having the county own it in full.

“It may be more efficient and effective for the county to own it outright,” Visser said. “Financing options … are likely to be more flexible.”

The commissioners will be presented with a recommendation on property ownership of the SportsPlex at their March 15 meeting.