Death sparks request

Legislature to eye 'Stephen's Law'

RALEIGH — Four months after a jury acquitted a local man in the death of a UNC alumnus, a Guilford County legislator has filed a bill that would change the way similar cases are taken up in the future.

At Tuesday’s session of the N.C. General Assembly, Rep. Mary Price Taylor Harrison filed a bill nicknamed “Stephen’s Law” in honor of University alumnus and Tar Heel Sports Network reporter Stephen Gates.

Gates was killed last year in a hit-and-run accident near the split of interstates 40 and 85. In November, a jury found Rabah Samara not guilty of all charges related to the incident.

“We feel that there is a need to change the law,” said Pat Gates, Stephen Gates’ mother. “Especially now that people are aware they can get away with this, we’re worried that it might happen more often.”

The state’s hit-and-run statute now requires that a person charged must have driven a vehicle that hits someone. The person also must know or have reason to know that he hit someone, and he must have driven away from the scene.

An amended statute will require that no person in a vehicle involved in an accident leave the scene, except to call for medical or law enforcement assistance. It will also apply to anyone involved in the accident, regardless of whether he was driving the vehicle at the time.

“Anyone in the car should be found guilty,” Harrison said.

Other bill co-sponsors include Rep. Alice Bordsen, D-Alamance; Rep. Verla Insko, D-Orange; and Rep. Paul Luebke, D-Durham.

“A person was killed in an accident, and no one was held accountable,” Insko said of Gates’ death. “The current law is not clear enough.”

Samara was not driving the vehicle that hit Gates. But after the driver stopped, he took the wheel and left the scene, court transcripts state.

The bill also specifies that the original driver may not allow, consent to, agree to or assist in removing that vehicle from the scene.

Ever since their son’s death, Pat and George Gates — Stephen’s father — have been working on changing the wording of the state’s law.

So far, the bill has been well received by both parties in the House — support that was encouraging on Monday, which would have been Gates’ birthday.

It was also the start of baseball season, George Gates said — Stephen’s favorite time of year.

“This gives me something to rummage around and find a purpose in Stephen’s death and find something useful in just a stupid tragedy,” he said.