DEDC moves toward Web-based publicity

Online exclusive

The Downtown Economic Development Corporation furthered its quest Tuesday of creating a fully functioning Web site to help intensify its focus on the business community downtown.

Corporation members want to create a Web site to reach out to merchants, property owners and any potential merchants and property owners interested in the area.

A big focus of the Web site will be listing vacancies downtown.

“I think this is one of the most important things we could be doing,” said Tom Tucker, corporation member and owner of Carolina Car Wash & Detail Inc.

A list of vacancies online will allow Web site visitors to know exactly what is available and where it is located downtown.

“One part of our vision is to revitalize downtown and fill vacant storefronts,” said Chairwoman Andrea Rohrbacher.

The inventory of vacancies that the corporation will post and update regularly also might serve to increase revenue.

When a potential buyer contacts the corporation and is later referred to a real estate agent or broker, a finder’s fee — or referral fee — will be granted to the corporation.

Another focus of the Web site will be to update the business community on current and future projects, keeping everyone up to date.

“Our Web site would be a place for people to go to if they were interested in investing in downtown,” Tucker said. “It will be a place where people who want to do business can go to get the job done.”

The Web site will be tailored more toward the business and economic aspects of downtown, but the corporation also wants to include links to other areas of community interest.

Links to the University, town of Carrboro, Chapel Hill-Orange County Visitor Bureau and local newspapers such as The Chapel Hill News, the Durham Herald-Sun and The Daily Tar Heel will be available on the site.

Much of the discussion at Tuesday’s meeting centered on narrowing down what exactly was needed on the Web site.

“Whoever we get to help design the Web site will benefit from this type of discussion,” said interim Executive Director Nick Didow.

The corporation will be posting ads in local newspapers to get the word out that it is looking for a Web site developer.

The deadline for all proposals is March 18, when the corporation will start reviewing applications and choosing its developer.

“It would be great if we could choose a developer in March and have the site up in April,” Rohrbacher said.

The corporation also is currently working on a wireless initiative for downtown.

“We want to continue what Carrboro has done and carry it over to downtown,” Rohrbacher said.

Carrboro approved plans to expand its wireless network throughout downtown in September.

The wireless initiative will be on the agenda for Wednesday’s regularly scheduled meeting.