Dinner to focus on spirit of Carrboro

In an effort to bring people together and promote cultural diversity, Carrboro will celebrate its eighth annual community dinner Sunday.

The event is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. in the cafeteria of McDougle Middle School, located at 900 Old Fayetteville Road.

Nerys Levy, chairwoman of the community dinner committee, said the event will feature an array of attractions. Mama Dip’s Kitchen will provide the food, and a variety of culturally diverse musical acts, including a Latin band and Greek dance group, will perform on stage as locals dine.

“It’s like a window to our community,” she said of the dinner. “We invite all different groups of people to come enjoy great food and entertainment.”

Levy said the event is intended not just for Carrboro residents but for anyone who wants to buy a ticket. She stressed that she would like to see more University students attend the function.

“There are thousands of college students in the area, and a lot of people around here have never met one,” Levy said. “I think the students owe it to the community to give something back by getting out and introducing themselves.”

Phyllis Coley, a coordinator for the Durham planning firm Another Coley Event, will be the emcee.

“I’m doing a lot of things in Chapel Hill and Durham,” she said. “This was a good opportunity to finally get involved in the community.”

Coley said that she is excited about the diversity the event promotes and that she looks forward to her role in its success. “This event is everybody,” she said. “It’s all races, genders, religions and levels of education.”

The Carrboro Branch Library, located in McDougle’s media center, is one of many groups sponsoring the event this year.

Jake Lehrer, a librarian at the branch, said the facility has sponsored the dinner each year because of its close ties to the event.

“Each year, this event brings a lot of people together who wouldn’t have normally come in contact with each other, and it allows them to converse,” he said. “This is a really good and festive venue for them to do that.”

Levy said that the event attracts between 600 and 700 people each year, and that she expects similar numbers again this year.

Tickets for the event are still available for $7.50 at, among other places, Mama Dip’s and the library.

Levy said that there’s a chance tickets will still be available at the door, but that it would be a better idea to buy tickets in advance.

“You won’t get a better afternoon,” she said. “And at $7.50, it’s one of the best deals around.”