Fraternities aid tsunami efforts

Bene?t raises $11K for relief

A star-studded cast of University and community leaders joined together at a benefit dinner Sunday night to help those struck by the tsunami in Southeast Asia.

With a check of $11, 230, UNC’s Interfraternity Council added a boost to Habitat for Humanity’s efforts to help resume normalcy in the countries hit by the tsunami.

“This gives hope for the future,” said Dean Smith, legendary basketball coach and special guest at the event. “We’re in good shape.”

Anson Dorrance, coach of the women’s soccer team, also attended the event. He said that he had lived in Singapore during his youth, which made the disaster hit closer to home.

“I feel partly close to this kind of disaster,” he said. “The response from this group is overwhelming, and it’s to their credit.”

The idea for the benefit dinner came together during Winter Break when Nick Armstrong, vice president of the council, decided that his organization needed to do something to respond to the tragedy.

More than 100 members of the community attended the $125 per-plate dinner, held in Fearrington Village in Pittsboro.

Armstrong said the turnout exceeded his expectations.

All of the proceeds generated from the dinners, $20 raffle tickets and other donations went straight to the Asia Tsunami Response Fund.

Raffle prizes included a basketball signed by Smith and a football signed by coach John Bunting.

Mary Ellen Taylor, southeast regional director for Habitat for Humanity, said that the response from the Greek community shows students’ depth and understanding of the world.

Donna Justice, whose son is a member of the fraternity council, also expressed her satisfaction with the efforts.

“It’s wonderful when college kids come together with something like this,” she said.

Several local businesses donated food and wine for the event.

R.B. Fitch, of Fitch’s Creations and the owner of Fearrington Village, picked up the expenses, while U.S. Foods and several wine companies donated their wines. In addition, companies including The Siena Hotel and The Carolina Inn contributed to the raffle by providing overnight stays.

“The need is still great even though the event is months after,” said Mark Sherburne, general manager of The Siena Hotel.

Other guests at the event included current Student Body President Matt Calabria and the remaining student body president candidates, Seth Dearmin and Seke Ballard.

Calabria said that the Greek community often is involved in public service events but rarely gets the recognition it deserves.

“I think it brings together a lot of student leaders,” he said. “I think of this as a very visible sign that it’s in the right direction.”

Tom Merrihew, president of the council, said that he was on cloud nine at the end of the event.

“I feel so relieved but so proud of tonight,” he said. “Everyone had a great time. It was an overwhelming success.”

The relief effort is one of many in the University community. For more information, visit: http://www.ibiblio.org/ttrc.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide