Gay activist talks politics, justice

When former White House aide and gay political activist Keith Boykin decided to be open about his sexuality, the first person he told was his mother.

After several vain attempts and awkward silences, his mother assured him of her love, but asked him not to tell too many people.

But Boykin’s mind was on another bit of advice his mother had given him as a child: Don’t let anyone tell you what to do.

He followed that advice instead.

The activist brought his ideas Thursday night to the Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History. His lecture — one of 25 stops on his promotional book tour — was sponsored by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Office at UNC. Boykin discussed issues within the gay community, especially those he has experienced in politics.

As president of the board of the National Black Justice Coalition, Boykin has emerged as a leading activist for both the black and gay communities.

His extensive work in politics came to fruition with his work on the 1992 Clinton campaign and his subsequent employment.

Boykin was appointed as special assistant to the president and director of specialty media. At one point, he was the highest-ranking openly gay person in the Clinton White House.

Boykin enjoyed his time in the White House, during which he helped organize the first conference between a United States president and gay and lesbian leaders.

“I learned from my time at the White House that it’s possible to make change on a macro level and on a micro level,” he said.

More than a political figure, Boykin has been a teacher, lawyer, activist, reality television star, lecturer and author.

His new book, “Beyond the Down Low: Sex, Lies, and Denial in Black America,” Boykin looks beyond stereotypes and the pseudo-crisis of black male bisexuality, dubbed “the down low.”

The spreading AIDS epidemic, Boykin said, is unfairly blamed on bisexual black men. “You have to be smart enough not to be distracted by the frenzy — demonizing men won’t make them straight,” he said.

Boykin also cited flawed reasoning behind prejudices against the LGBTQ population. He charged the right wing with “bumper-sticker rhetoric” and oversimplified arguments.

Boykin acknowledged the reality of fears to stand up for a cause, especially in the face of the racism and homophobia prevalent in today’s society.

He said true courage means responding to those fears: “When you dare to be powerful in service of your own vision, it becomes less important whether you are afraid.”

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide