Grad school may see African studies

The increasing popularity of the Department of African and Afro-American Studies among UNC undergraduates has sparked interest to create a similar program geared toward graduate students.

“There are many Afro-American studies majors,” said Student Body Secretary James Allred. “The popularity of that was a good indication that there would also be interest in this program.”

Members of student government are working with the department to explore the feasibility of such a venture.

Faculty members have received a draft plan of the program, and the department formed a committee to find ways to put the plan into action.

“Afro-American studies is a solid educational discipline that has piqued the interest of students,” said Julius Nyang’Oro, chairman of the department.

“(We have) for some time been thinking about a way to develop a graduate program.”

Nyang’Oro said the push for a graduate program has developed in conjunction with two other developments on campus — the opening of the Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History and the Institute of African-American Research.

Although development of the program is slow-going, officials expect to see it at the University within a couple of years.

“Right now we are researching what its feasibility would require," said Student Body President Matt Calabria.

“We’re at a very early stage.”

Nyang’Oro noted that extra time is needed to ensure that the program’s development goes smoothly.

“It is a good idea to take time to develop a new program and not rush into things,” Nyang’Oro said. “Before the end of the semester, we will have a report coming from the committee.”

Officials said they are still working on figuring out exactly what a graduate program would entail. But once it is complete, Nyang’Oro said, the University will see benefits in several areas of study, such as history, anthropology, medicine, journalism and law.

“It will reflect the strength of faculty writing on Afro-American issues,” he said. “We have tremendous strength across campus, and it would be foolish of us not to tap into all these areas.”

Allred underscored the many possible benefits that could come from a new area of study.

“Creating this program will attract high-quality faculty members to the University,” he said.

There are enough resources and interest to see the project reach completion, Calabria said.

“Graduate programs in Afro-American studies and minority issues are much scarcer than they should be, and we can get the ball rolling for the future.”