Hoops matchup to go retro

Teams to dust off vintage uniforms

Basketball fans sporting acid-washed jeans, scrunchie socks and teased hair will transcend time tonight as they watch the Tar Heels battle Virginia in an ’80s-style matchup.

UNC’s Department of Athletics, in conjunction with ESPN and Nike, will put on “80s Retro Night” in the Smith Center, where players, fans and commentators will sport 80s-style clothing for UNC’s game against Virginia.

Players on both teams will wear Nike V-neck uniforms, modeled after those worn in the 1980s. Commentators Mike Patrick, Len Elmore and Doris Burke will adorn ’80s attire, and spectators are encouraged to do the same.

For those not watching the game in person, ESPN will display television graphics that were used during the decade.

“I think it’s a neat marketing experience,” said Michael Beale, director of marketing for UNC athletics. “This will bring back a lot of tradition for both schools.”

Beale said the players are excited to participate in the retro event, the only such event in recent UNC history. “I think they’re going to have a lot of fun with it,” he said. “It’s been really positive.”

Beale said that during “Late Night with Roy” skits, players joked about dressing up for games, and he anticipates that spirits will be high tonight.

Students attending the game tonight said they are eager to participate.

“It’s a good way to get everyone excited about the game and have a little theme go along with it,” said Ann Schnell, a first-year romance languages graduate student. Schnell, a Virginia native, said she will be extra pumped to cheer on the Tar Heels because of the promotion.

Even students who were unable to obtain tickets to the game said they are enthusiastic about watching the special event on television.

“I think it’s a cute idea,” said Christina Lee, a junior majoring in sociology. “There’s always high energy in the Dean Dome, and this will add an extra twist to the excitement that already exists.”

Lee said she also is looking forward to seeing alumni and other adults flash back to the decade of bad fashion and big hair.

“This will be interesting to see because there will not only be student fans but also adult fans who experienced the fashions of that time,” she said.

Throughout the game, retro tidbits will flash onto the video boards, and ’80s music will play in the arena. A member of the crowd also will have the chance to win a 2004 Cadillac.

“I think it will be a really fun and exciting night, not only for the players, but also for the fans,” Beale said. “We hope to relive the tradition of Carolina basketball and the rivalry between UNC and Virginia.”

Contact the University Editor at udesk@email.unc.