Marathon breaks its record

As the end of Dance Marathon slowly approached Saturday night, the only things that weren't drooping were the posters on the walls of Fetzer Gym.

And when Overall Coordinator Julia Shalen took the stage to announce the marathon's fund-raising total, almost 600 sleep-deprived dancers gathered around, rubbing their swollen ankles.

The marathon raised $184,872.40 for families of patients at the N.C. Children's Hospital -- eclipsing last year's total by more than $14,000.

"It's a combination of the increased devotion of students and our increased presence on campus," said Marketing Chairwoman Allison Boothe, who shouted the total excitedly to a friend on her cell phone.

"The success of the marathon can only be measured in perspiration," she added, wiping her forehead.

But the money raised only represents a portion of the event's success and the efforts of those involved.

Committee leaders estimated that almost 2,000 people -- including dancers, moralers, volunteers and spectators -- turned out for this year's marathon. Even former coordinators came to show support.

"The energy in the room was out of control," said alumna Haley West, who served as overall coordinator in 2004. "It's not the only worthy organization on campus, but it's certainly an awesome cause."

Other student organizations graced the stage throughout the 24 hours, entertaining enthusiastic but weary dancers. Groups such as the Loreleis, The Capulets and Inversions helped pass the early morning hours.

"The moralers and entertainment are what's going to get me through the next 20 hours," said fund-raising committee member Brooke Bitler late Friday night.

In addition to the grueling 24 hours of dancing that brought the marathon to an end, fund-raising efforts included a UNC ONE Card push week in October followed by a local concert and date auction in November. "We're uniting the campus," Shalen said. "And we're helping so many people."

The marathon's proceeds are contributed to the For the Kids Fund, which goes to the Children's Hospital.

Dance Marathon committee members announced that 356 families have been helped in the last 2 1/2 months, thanks in part to the 217 Food Lion cards, 1,390 phone cards, $51,141 for bills and $23,619 for transportation that has been donated to the For the Kids Fund.

Many families who are being helped by the Dance Marathon funds circulated the gym late Saturday afternoon. They were met with smiles and tears.

"They're thanking us," said Jeff Simpson, whose daughter, Rebecca Simpson, is in remission from acute myeloid leukemia.

"But we're thanking them."

Rebecca's family members said they were grateful for the dinners and phone cards provided to them.

"These students are doing something for people they don't know and will probably never meet," Rebecca said. She nodded in agreement when her father referred to the Dance Marathon as a huge labor of love.

"We got to see their faces. The marathon made it personal," said sophomore dancer Brett Gantt. "It was a painful 24 hours. But I have no doubt it was worth it."

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.