Marathon gears for long haul

As 7 p.m. approaches, committee members will hang the last of the hand-painted banners adorning the walls of Fetzer Gym.

Dancers will boost their strength, relishing in midday naps in the last hours before they take the floor.

And men’s basketball coach Roy Williams will prepare to kick off the seventh annual UNC Dance Marathon.

Starting tonight, hundreds of dancers will remain on their feet for 24 hours to raise money for the For the Kids Fund, which benefits the N. C. Children’s Hospital.

Everything will be ready to go, said Catherine McLaurin, the marathon’s publicity chairwoman. A crew of volunteers rallied for student awareness in the Pit during the week and spent Thursday night decorating the gym.

“I think everyone is tying up loose ends,” McLaurin said.

Planning for the marathon has been under way for about 11 months.

“It’s pretty much an ongoing process,” said junior Julia Shalen, the overall coordinator. “We reserve the gym in March, and then (the effort) really kicks into high gear around October.”

The marathon will follow the formula tested in prior years — 24 hours plus about 600 dancers hopefully equals a total of more than $150,000.

Last year, Dance Marathon raised more than $170,000, and McLaurin said this year’s cadre of volunteers and dancers expect to accomplish no less.

“It has pretty much run smoothly the past few years, so we’re keeping things pretty similar to years past,” she said.

But following a tried-and-true formula hasn’t been an easy ride, and the group has had to dodge a few unexpected bullets.

McLaurin, who has been involved with the marathon for three years and who was a dancer two years ago, said the organization averted a crisis in securing the event’s location.

“We thought Fetzer Gym was going to be under construction, but they postponed it until 2006,” she said. “That was a good surprise.”

Another new development — this one planned by the marathon’s organizers — could help the group boost its fund-raising totals while giving it a jolt of publicity.

Phonathon workers will hit the radio airwaves as the dancers hit the dance floor, asking listeners to donate. And the exposure could be even greater — McLaurin said she still is trying to get a television station to commit to airing the event.

In the final hours before the marathon starts, committee members will be putting the finishing touches on Fetzer Gym. Most of the preparations and fund raising for the event have been completed, but the online auction continues to bring in money. The Dance Marathon Web site will accept bids on items until 6 p.m. Saturday.

The food for the event is confirmed and ready to go. Dancers will enjoy meals donated by local pizza shops, Bojangles’, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts and Carolina Dining Services. The entertainment also is set to take stage, with such names as the Clef Hangers and Loreleis on the bill.

The event also will feature appearances by the families the For the Kids Fund has helped in the past. Family hour begins at 5 p.m. Saturday, and families who have been helped by the marathon will share their stories as the event winds to a close.

Shalen has participated in Dance Marathon since her freshman year, getting more involved each time. She said the organization is significant because the money raised goes directly to the families.

“Every dollar we raise for the kids is money that was not there before,” she said.

Freshman dancer Natalie Mayo recognizes the importance of dedicating her time to the marathon.

“Those parents have jobs and work really hard,” she said. “Then they come home and stay up all night taking care of their kids. Us staying up symbolizes their sacrifices.”

But many first-time dancers are not quite sure what to expect at the event.

“I’m kind of nervous,” said sophomore Kristin Sherman.

“I’ve never stood up for that long. It makes me tired just thinking about it.”

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide