Nichol on list for presidency

The dean of UNC’s School of Law now is in the spotlight as one of the final five candidates in the College of William and Mary’s search for a new president.

Gene Nichol, law school dean and Burton Craige Professor of Law, was named as a top contender Tuesday and will visit William and Mary’s campus later this month.

Nichol said that although he enjoys his job at UNC, the search committee encouraged him to apply for the presidency, forcing him to consider the opportunity.

“I agreed after a lot of thought,” he said. “I love it here, but I also have a long relationship with William and Mary.”

Nichol worked as J. G. Cutler Professor and director of the Institute of Bill of Rights Law at the William and Mary School of Law from 1985 to 1988.

He said serving as president of a strong public school like Virginia’s William and Mary would present many challenges and opportunities.

Provost Robert Shelton said he received the news of Nichol’s candidacy Wednesday morning, and while he was not expecting the development, he was not shocked.

“Gene is a very visible dean,” Shelton said. “It’s not surprising that other schools are looking at him.”

Shelton said Nichol has made great contributions to the school, increasing national visibility and hiring top faculty members. He recently led efforts to recruit John Edwards, former vice presidential candidate and U.S. senator, to the school.

But Shelton also added that he is leery of conducting yet another dean search at the University.

During his tenure as provost, Shelton has hired nine deans, out of the 15 total, and now is in the midst of searching for a dean for the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

“I hope (Nichol) stays,” he said. “But this is what happens when you have great faculty.”

William and Mary’s search for a new president began when current chief executive Timothy Sullivan announced last summer that he would step down next July. Sullivan has served as president for the last 13 years.

Nichol will compete against four candidates for the position. They include Roger Hull, president of Union College and chancellor of Union University in Schenectady, N.Y., and Lester Lefton, senior vice president for academic affairs, provost and professor of psychology at Tulane University in New Orleans.

The other two candidates already hold leadership positions at William and Mary. Virginia McLaughlin is chancellor, dean and professor in the School of Education, and Taylor Reveley is dean and professor in the college’s law school.

William Walker, associate vice president for public affairs at William and Mary, said officials are optimistic about the search.

“We feel that we have a good field, and we’re looking forward to meeting with the candidates,” he said.

Contact the University Editor udesk@unc.edu.