Pembroke celebrates its diversity

PEMBROKE — Founded in 1887 as the first state-supported college for Native Americans, UNC-Pembroke now is recognized as one of the most diverse schools in the South.

“It’s basically a quad-racial school,” said N.C. Sen. David Weinstein, who represents Robeson County, which houses UNC-P. “It’s quite a representation here.”

UNC-P also is in a phase of unprecedented growth. “Enrollment growth, up 69.5 percent in five years, is high on UNC-P’s list of achievements,” said Glen Burnette, vice chancellor for university and community relations.

He said enrollment has jumped from about 3,000 students in the 1999-2000 school year to a record 5,132 during the 2005 spring semester.

“Enrollment should continue to soar as UNC-P finds new ways to serve its region and the state,” Burnette said.

But enrollment increase is only part of the university’s growth.

An optometry school is in the works, which, if funded, would complement the nursing and education programs already available at the university.

“A proposed optometry program is in initial planning stages and would be the only school of optometry serving the Carolinas,” Burnette said.

The English E. Jones Health and Physical Education Center has received an $8.8 million expansion that added 32,000 square feet to the building.

Sixteen offices, three classrooms, two racquetball courts and a fitness center were added to the Jones Center’s already existing gyms, Olympic-sized swimming pool and diving pools, Burnette said.

“The English E. Jones Health and Physical Education Center is home to the university’s academic programs in health and physical education, as well as athletic training,” Burnette said.

There are myriad other expansion and renovation projects occurring on campus. A $17 million renovation project for the Herbert C. Oxendine Science Building is under way, and renovations and additions are continuing with a $4.6 million project for the art and music buildings, Burnette said.

“Also, a $3 million addition to the James B. Chavis (University) Center and a new bookstore will get under way this spring,” he said.

Growth also has led to the university reinstating a football team after a 50-year lapse, he said.

“This follows on the heels of a highly successful start-up of the women’s soccer program,” Burnette said.

Students also enjoy UNC-P for its unique location — situated only a short drive away from Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, S.C. But the location is remote enough to allow students to focus more intently on their studies.

Some students say the location can prove to be a double-edged sword.

“What I don’t like (about Pembroke) is sort of the same reason that I do like it,” said Kelly Jones, a sophomore psychology major and a varsity soccer player.

“I came to Pembroke because it was a small school where I could focus on soccer and academics. It has small classrooms where the teachers can give you personal attention.

“I don’t like that there isn’t really a lot to do around here.”

She cited the lack of restaurants and nightlife as one of the drawbacks of the university’s location.

Along with the academic and enrollment growth, there recently has been a push by both university and town officials to generate a stronger relationship with the surrounding area.

“Chancellor (Allen) Meadors has done an excellent job in promoting the university and getting the surrounding communities and the legislative delegation involved,” Weinstein said.

Milton Hunt, who has been mayor of Pembroke for the last 21 years, said the growth of the university also has helped the town.

“Not only is the university growing, the town is growing from the university,” he said.

Hunt added that the town is proud of the university.

“We have a Pembroke Day once a year for the community to come out and tour the campus,” he said. “I just feel that we’ve got a good relationship with UNC-P.

“The university’s important and always has been to the town and community. We look forward to working for them and helping them accomplish everything they want to.”

And UNC-P is poised to accomplish a lot in the near future.

A musical theater major has just been added to the list of more than 50 majors offered by the university.

The school of education at the university also is taking strides to ease the state’s need for more teachers.

“UNC-P’s school of education is one of only three North Carolina universities to receive exemplary ratings by the Department of Public Instruction,” Burnette said.

“Education majors at UNC-P have nearly doubled in the past five years, helping to solve the state’s teacher shortage.”

Despite the increased enrollment and campus improvement, it is the small class size and intimate learning environment that Burnette said is the school’s biggest selling point.

UNC-P boasts a 16-to-1 student-faculty ratio.

“It is the extraordinary level of student-faculty engagement that is our biggest asset,” Burnette said.

“UNC-P is and has always been a university where learning gets personal.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.