Professionals to receive help

Young business professionals in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area can look forward to a new way to learn about local business opportunities.

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce Young Professional Network will host its inaugural meeting from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. March 24, at Off Franklin Bar & Grill at 108 Henderson St.

“(The network will) come together on a monthly basis to network and talk about topics of interest to young professionals--: building relationships, finance, buying their first home,” said Aaron Nelson, the chamber’s executive director.

“It’s a support network as well as a rocket launcher,” he said. “We’re hoping to (propel) people forward.”

The chamber characterizes young professionals as people under the age of 40 who work for a chamber member.

Goals of the network include helping young professionals develop new business skills, helping them build network access to potential clients and customers, and positioning the area as an attractive destination for young entrepreneurs, Nelson said.

“Hopefully, getting these people together, we can spin off another program in the community,” said Jason Austell, marketing director for AXA Advisors LLC. “Just something to get them involved.

“We want to make a difference.”

AXA Advisors, a financial advising firm that has a regional branch in Raleigh, is sponsoring the network for the first year.

“We felt like it was a good opportunity to get our name out in Chapel Hill,” Austell said. “We want to help host events, have input and create buzz about (the network).”

The firm’s Chapel Hill office employs about 10 employees, some of whom meet the criteria for network members.

“(The network) gives them an opportunity to see what else is out there,” Austell said. “You’ve got all types, and this is a good opportunity for them.”

The first meeting will not have a guest speaker and will instead be more of a networking event, said Tracey Hager, the network’s coordinator.

But beginning in April, the meetings will host a guest speaker and still allow time for socializing among members.

The group will hold its meetings at various bars and restaurants in the area that are members of the chamber.

“We’ll be shifting around town,” Nelson said.

The idea for the program came from young professionals in the chamber who mentioned that they would like an opportunity to get to know like-minded professionals and learn about topics that interest them, Nelson said.

Ninety percent of the chamber’s 950 members employ fewer than 10 people, many of whom are young professionals, he added.