Student officials aim to improve town relations

List shows campus priorities for town

Student government has set its sights on eliminating the divide between students and the town of Chapel Hill.

In a list that outlines the top 10 student priorities for the town, members of student government have proposed various changes that, they hope, will improve the town’s relationship with UNC students.

“The goal is that (the Chapel Hill Town Council) will remember student interest in these projects,” Student Body Secretary James Allred said. “We are concerned that the council has become out of touch with students.”

Top priorities include increasing parking and improving lighting around campus. The list suggests that the council work with UNC’s Department of Public Safety to increase the number of blue emergency lights, specifically around Rosemary Street, and to examine pedestrian and bike traffic, especially on South Campus.

Affordable housing options, downtown development and recycling efforts on Franklin Street are other issues student government is highlighting.

“Some of these issues have been coming up again and again,” said Jeremy Spivey, town relations chairman of student government. “Some of these issues have required a bit more thought, but all of them have a tremendous impact on student life.”

The list also proposes that the town work with the University to review construction project proposals more quickly and to effect change to campus as efficiently as possible.

This point disappointed Town Council member Mark Kleinschmidt, who said it reflects the notion that students are becoming “a mouthpiece for the University’s construction office.”

He said he does not think it is unreasonable for the town to ask for an additional 30 days to review construction proposal revisions that relate to projects on the perimeters of campus.

The list also suggests that Chapel Hill local government ought to open positions for students on the Town Council.

“This is important because currently there are no students on the Town Council, so the connection between students and the Town Council is limited,” Spivey said.

Seth Dearmin, student body president-elect, said he will try to improve student-town relations by working with Town Council members to make sure that students are more aware of what’s going on in the town.

He also plans to encourage dialogue between Town Council members and students.

Allred described student government’s approach as “two-pronged.”

Student government officials aim to keep students informed about the activities of the Town Council, but they also said that they plan to educate town officials about the strong political force that students could exercise in local politics.

Student government’s next move will be to present the list to council members by mail or e-mail, Spivey said.

“I’m pretty confident that by the time the next election cycle rolls around, there will be a lot of discussions by prospective (council) candidates about these issues.”